PDA

View Full Version : AQo in CO

stoxtrader
10-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Party .50/1

I get A /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in CO, 2 limp, I limp, button limps, SB completes and BB checks

6 to flop for 6SB
10 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

4 checks to me, I bet my overcards, everybody calls.

turn 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

3 checks, guy to my right bets, I call, button raises, 3 fold, my right calls, I call

3 to river for 12BB

5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
check, check, button bets, fold, fold. he takes it down without showing.

criticism?

ZManODS
10-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Hmmm i guess your play was OK.

On the turn the pot was offering you 10:1 BB when it came to you and you presumably have 10outs (4 Kings, 3 Aces, 3 Queens) giving you (please double check) odds of 3.6:1.

After the raise, calling that was a must.

But there may have been the chance if you hit your A or Q that you were upagainst two pair or 3 of a kind. So one could argue you only had 4 clean outs (4 kings) which would give you around 10.5:1 odds.

Either way i would have called.

ZManODS
10-30-2003, 01:44 PM
The pot was actually offering only 7.5BB when it came to you on the turn.

mauisupaman
10-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Stox,
Why didn't you raise you AQ in the CO? We're playing "best hand poker".

Personally I would've checked through the flop to try and hit broadway or one of your overcards cheaply. Doesn't seem like there's a great deal of money in the pot anyway, but perhaps you were building it.

If you had raised PF I'd be more inclined to bet the flop, have it checked to you on the turn, and taken the free card to the river. That way you spend only 3 SB's.

After betting the flop, the guy in front of you bets into you. Now you didn't raise PF so he probably doesn't put you on overcards or a big pocket so he probably thinks you hit the flop and he's betting into you now! That says I know you hit the flop but now I can beat you. On the turn you get caught up and have to call to the river.

MaxPower
10-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Before the flop, you should raise with AQo after two limpers. This hand demonstrates the importance of that. I think this is right even if the game is loose and the blinds will call. This hand will be much easier to play when you have last position.

brian0729
10-30-2003, 02:59 PM
You should raise this hand preflop. The turn is not clear cut, pot odds are 7:1 but if you only think the K's are good then its a clear fold. If you think all 10 outs are good you could call but I would fold this hand on the turn.

Bob T.
10-30-2003, 03:01 PM
I probably would have raised preflop.

You would probably hurt the implied odds of the limpers, maybe buy the button, and also might eliminate one or both blinds.

You got an okay flop, with a gutshot, and two overcards, I like your bet on the flop, although this flop is right in the limping zone.

I think that there is very little chance that you are ahead on the turn, but your draw to 4 outs, is enough for you to call the turn raise.

Very likely a good fold on the river.

brian0729
10-30-2003, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that there is very little chance that you are ahead on the turn, but your draw to 4 outs, is enough for you to call the turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but do you think he should have called the first turn bet?

GuyOnTilt
10-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Like everybody else said, you should be raising AQo in LP after 2 limpers. You can buy the button, knock out one or both of the blinds, and punish the limpers. It also makes postflop play much easier.

Everybody else has covered the flop and turn play for the most part, but I just want to add that you shouldn't calculate your outs as 4 or 10 when it comes back to you raised. In this case your overcard outs will be good sometimes, but not always or never, so your calculated outs should really be in between. You didn't give any reads on the MP for the Button, so I have no idea where that number should be. It depends on the aggressiveness of both players with certain hands. My guess would be that your overcards are not going to be good here very often, and I'd give yourself 5 or 5.5 outs on your second turn call, which makes it close.

Best guess is that Button has a set of 4's or top two, and MP picked up a club draw to go with his gutshot on the turn.

stoxtrader
10-30-2003, 03:33 PM
thanks everyone - pretty unanimous that I raise the AQo in this situation, and the explanations make sense to me. I appreciate it....it would certainly make the rest of the hand easier.

Nottom
10-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Raise preflop after 2 limpers. You would really like to buy the button and shut out the blinds with a hand like AQ.

Guido
10-30-2003, 05:46 PM
When he played it the way he did, I think the implied odds make it worth to call when it came back raised on the turn.

Guido