PDA

View Full Version : Manny on Waivers?

andyfox
10-30-2003, 12:51 PM
It's being reported that the Red Sox have put Manny Ramirez on waivers. All another team has to do is pick up the remainder of his contract to get him. A small matter of $100,000,000.00 or so.

I guess they're tired of him being too weak too play but not too weak to have a beer with an old friend who happens to play on the other team.

He's a great, great hitter but, so far in his career, a loser, in every sense of the word.

One would think Mr. Steinbrenner would be interested, and also Mr. McCourt, among others.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Since the *only* team that would even consider picking up Manny's contract is the Yankees, the only logical conclusion is that the Red Sox want that to happen. Manny on the Yankees doesn't bother me. He'll have more off-field issues playing in his home town, and his lack of defensive and baserunning skills coupled with his "who gives a sh*t" clubhouse attitude will not play well in that clubhouse. The Yankees as an organiztion don't take clubhouse crap from anybody, and history shows that if you push Manny, he sulks. Plus, what the Yankees really need is pitching. Right now, Next year's rotation is Mussina, Weaver, Contreras, ?, ?.

He's a vote from me hoping George takes the bait. Vlad would look great in RF.

B-Man
10-30-2003, 01:46 PM
I hope the Yankees pick him up. Beleive it or not, that could lead to a chain of events which brings A-Rod to the Red Sox--if Nomar is looking for Derek Jeter money, I believe the Sox will trade him this winter, and without the contracts of Manny & Nomar, they could take on A-Rod and his $25mm/year contract. Peter Gammons reported that Texas offerred A-Rod to Boston, but the Red Sox told Texas they would have to take back Manny, which Texas wouldn't do.

Manny's a great hitter (probably a Hall of Fame hitter), but he's the second-highest paid player in baseball, and he's definitely not the second-best player in baseball.

pudley4
10-30-2003, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now, Next year's rotation is Mussina, Weaver, Contreras, ?, ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon Lieber should be back from Tommy-John surgery for next year.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2003, 03:21 PM

I believe this qualifies as one of the ?'s /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dynasty
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right now, Next year's rotation is Mussina, Weaver, Contreras, ?, ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way Jeff Weaver is going to be in the Yankees' rotation. He's getting traded in the offseason with the Yankees picking up part of his salary.

J.R.
10-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Any GM that picks up manny off waivers should be shot with guererro and sheffield free agents this year. Both will be available for far cheaper than manny and are comparable/ better players.

JTG51
10-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Plus, what the Yankees really need is pitching. Right now, Next year's rotation is Mussina, Weaver, Contreras, ?, ?.

The only bigger lock than Andy Pettitte being a Yankee next year is Jeff Weaver not being a Yankee next year.

I won't be shocked if Wells is back (the team holds an option on his contract for next season) and I also expect the Yankees to make run at a trade for Javier Vasquez.