PDA

View Full Version : Home game maniac

10-03-2001, 02:26 AM
I'd like some advice on how to adjust my play against a maniac in a small stakes limit home game. One guy who I play with takes the "no fold 'em hold 'em" motto to heart, literally playing any hand he is dealt, oftentimes raising from any position with any hand. He will see the flop for any number of bets from any position. He'll play any pair on the flop, and go to the river with it. He also frequently bets all the way to the river with absolutely nothing.

This sounds like a good player to have in the game. However, myself and several other of the guys I play with have dropped quite a bit of money to this maniac because it is impossible to put him on a hand. Two hands from this evening that stick in my mind were him cracking KK with 23s, and AA with 93o. (He flopped trips the first hand and two pair the second.)

Is this just a variance issue? I feel like I am generally playing correctly against him, trying to pick my spots and bet good hands strongly so he pays me off with bottom pair or some such hand. However, it just seems like he wins with garbage a lot more than he pays off. When you have AA and he calls/raises your bets all the way to the river with a board of 963J5 (no flush) and wins with 53o, what do you do?

Thoughts, comments? Any advice would be appreciated.

AW

10-03-2001, 04:23 PM
"When you have AA and he calls/raises your bets all the way to the river with a board of 963J5 (no flush) and wins with 53o, what do you do?"

Just calmly remind yourself that in the long run, you will win against this guy.