PDA

View Full Version : “It’s like which twin has the Tony… it’s complicated.”

ElSapo
10-30-2003, 12:06 PM
“It’s like which twin has the Tony. Maybe they both do. Maybe Tony is a guy. How’re you gonna know? It's complicated.”

I got limp-raised twice this morning and couldn’t figure out, on either hand, where I stood. Neither of these came from early position, and I had no reads on people, so I had no way of knowing if this was something like aces or kings, or AKs, or if this was just someone waking up and saying “let’s gamble.” Hey, it seemed complicated at the time.

Party 2/4. Four folds, two limps, and I raise on the button with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB folds, BB calls, and now the first limper three-bets. Second limper folds, I call and the BB calls. Three to the flop, and I’m trying to figure out if the limp-raiser would really make that move with a strong pair after four people folded to him.

Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB checks, limp-raiser bets, I raise. The BB folds, the limp-raiser three-bets it, and I call.

Turn is the J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He bets, I call.

River is the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. He bets, I call.

--

Second hand.

Three fold, three limp, another fold and I raise on the button with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Both blinds call, one limper calls and the second one now limp-three bets. Surprise. We all call (anyone cap?). Six to the flop.

8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Two checks, a bet and the limp-raiser raises. A fold, I three-bet, folded to the first bettor who calls, limp-raiser caps, we both call.

Turn is the 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and the action goes check-bet-call-call.

River is the T /images/graemlins/spade.gif, same action.

banditbdl
10-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Your play looks good in Hand One.

As for hand two I guess it depends on whether you think there is a good chance the guy between you and the limp-reraiser will call two on the river. If the answer is yes then go ahead and raise the river. If the limp-reraiser has KK for the boat so be it. But, if your read was he'd fold to your river raise then the call is fine in my opinion. I'd be inclined to raise it with just the one tag-along. If there were two or three I'd like the river call more. The more I think about it the more I doubt the KK is out there. If he's gonna make a limp-reraise like that I'd suspect him to go the tricky route again on the flop when he hits a monster rather than raising right away like that. But I've been wrong before...

Lost Wages
10-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Hand 1)
I’m trying to figure out if the limp-raiser would really make that move with a strong pair after four people folded to him.

A lot of players won't open raise a big pair in middle position for fear of stealing the blinds.

I think you played the hand fine. You put him on a range of hands AA, KK, AKs or some near random hand. You raised the flop to see where you were. When he 3-bet you figured AA & KK just moved up the scale so you just called him down. I guess you could have capped the flop a called down if he led the turn.

Hand 2)
I would have just coldcalled the flop and raised the river.

Lost Wages

J.R.
10-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Without a read you have to pay Hand 1 as you did.

I would raise the river on hand 2. Even though he may have KK, I don't think its that likely given he limped after a limper. Open-limps that are re-raised pre-flop are more indicative of AA, KK or AKs in my experience than limps behind a limper that are re-raised. Going for the overcall may seem close on the river, but I you think the river checker is more likely to call two than for the limp re-raiser to have exactly KK, so I raise the river.

The flop is close, but given the limp re-raiser did not open limp but limped after a limper, I am less inclined to put him squarely on AK, AA or KK, so I would 3-bet the flop as well, maybe you get a free card, and you have the nut flush and an overcard, so I think there is value in a 3-bet. The flop cap sucks, but it doesn't have to be KK.

I would just call the limp re-raise preflop.

ElSapo
10-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Hand 1, limp-raiser shows AJo for nothing on the flop, a worse pair on the turn, and not a winner on the river. I was surprised as well.

Hand 2, I just called, first limper called and my flush took it down. First limper showed 93s for a smaller flush (and apparently the same fear I had), and the limp-raiser showed Q9o for, uh.... nothing.

Nate tha' Great
10-30-2003, 02:35 PM
There's been an outbreak of Fancy Play Syndrome at Party lately, and bluff limp reraising is among the primary symptoms. I don't know the last time someone limp rr'd me when they *did* have pocket aces or kings. The funny thing is when the limp r/r could win the pot if they follow the bluff up correctly but they don't.

Example. I have seriously seen several hands like this over the past week:

I have 99 on the Button and raise after two limpers.

EP LIMPER NOW LIMP-RERAISES!

Flop comes AKQ and is checked around.

Turn is an offsuit 2 checked to me I bet everyone folds.

PokerNoob
10-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Question about the second hand. On the flop, you have a drawing hand to the flush. Six hands see two checks, a bet, a raise and a fold. If you just call the raise, you might have a better chance of the checkers and the original bettor coming along, helping your drawing odds. If you raise, it might wind up headsup between you and the raiser who may reraise, destroying your drawing odds. Can you count on any non flush outs being clean? Or am I missing a bigger picture here by focusing only on drawing odds?

Ulysses
10-30-2003, 04:22 PM
General comment: Limp re-raise seems to be either 78s or 55 most of the times I've been seeing it lately.

Hand 1: I'd raise the turn and call him down if he 3-bets. He could easily have something like AhKh here. If he has JJ/KK/AA, good for him. Your play is fine here. I just hate to let these clowns draw on me for cheap, though.

Hand 2: I'd call the flop (might as well keep everyone in) and raise the river. Even the way the flop went, I'll still raise once on the river before worrying about a full house.