PDA

View Full Version : Overcard challenges

togilvie
10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Two quasi-similar overcard hands that I played in a tight-aggressive 20-40 game. Most pots are raised preflop. Typically 2-3 to a flop if it gets there.

Overcard hand #1
In Late-MP with AdJc. I Open-Raise, and am called by BB

Flop: 7d 7c 4c

BB checks, I bet, he raises

$160 in the pot with $20 to me. I call.

Turn 3h, SB bets

$220 in pot with $40 to me. I fold

Overcard hand #2
I have AhKc in MP. I open raise, called by the small-blind

Flop comes 8h 7h 7d

SB checks, I bet, SB raises

$160 in the pot and $20 to me. I call

Turn is 2h

SB bets,
$220 in the pot and $40 to me. I call
(I'll throw in the semi-bluff raise here a fair bit, but figured that his flop check-raise could have been a semi-bluff as well that had just come through)

River 6d
SB bets,

$300 in the pot with $40 to me. I fold

Think I was too weak-tight here? I definitely do not play as aggressively on overcard hands as most on these boards. Hence the reason for this post.

I'm struggling with the constant refrain: "Don’t become known as a folder". I’ve heard the argument that a good opponent seeing me play these hands will decide that I'm a "folder" and start to make moves on me more frequently.

But I'm not convinced that this is such a problem, and wondering whether it's actually an advantage to convince someone that I am a folder. Here's the logic:

I make money when my opponents play differently from the way they would if they could see my cards. My perception as a folder will cause my opponents to play sub-optimally to exploit my folding tendencies, which means more "mistakes" for them.

Since my folds are not likely to be big mistakes (as above), aren't I better off encouraging this perception?