PDA

View Full Version : A Bit OT Perhaps : Quality of our beloved forum

GuyOnTilt
10-30-2003, 04:50 AM
I think it's sad when non-poker related posts get 5-10x as many views and responses as an interesting hand analysis post. The most recent one is obvious, and I just don't understand why everybody finds the need to berate the O.P. (original poster, for those of you who aren't down with the hip SSF lingo), call him a liar, a loser, a horrible player, etc. I'll admit that I contributed to the thread with a trite comment, but I definitely don't see the reason for making putting down the character of someone else the center of this forum. This latest example is certainly not the first, but the frequency of these incidents has increased alarmingly in the past month. I just don't want this place to become like RGP in the sense that it loses it's sense of purpose.

I've noticed that a lot of very good posters, guys who added immensely to the education of others on this forum, have not been involved as much here lately or have left altogether. I'm afraid that this is the reason why, and I don't want to see others leave due to similar reasons.

I know I'm not the most experienced poster here and that I don't have an established rep here really, but I just felt the need to make my displeasure known. I hope we can all, myself included, shape up in this regard and get down to the business at hand, which is improving our game. Let those who wish to gossip, flame, or otherwise distract from this forum's purpose do so in the Zoo, NV&G, or RGP, but let's please try to keep poker our main focus in the Small Stakes Forum, guys.

Hopefully I'm speaking on the behalf of others here as well. If not, then I guess I'm in the wrong place for what I'm here to do.

Sorry for my long-windedness. Take care guys.

GoT

ElSapo
10-30-2003, 09:12 AM
Hey Guy... Man, four days at RGP and you're getting paranoid?

Kidding, of course. I think one of the reasons many hand analyisis posts don't get a ton of views is because after several responses, the answer is out there. Many times I post a hand and the answer simply comes back "routine." In that case, that's what I needed to know and more response may not be necessary.

But I largely agree with your post. There was an interesting thead (I thought, but I'm biased) going yesterday on betting your draws, and I was hoping to hear from a few of the more experienced posters but it quickly got pushed down. I hope what you say is wrong - I'd hate to see the forum losing posters b/c of some of the content.

I do wish some posts would end up in other forums, but I know people post here b/c I think this forum may have the most readers (just a hunch).

But as for why they get so many views - - in a forum where so many posts start "so I'm UTG with AA and..." it's just something different to read.

Guido
10-30-2003, 09:15 AM
I agree, most of the time I don't even bother reading those posts. I never respond.

I've learned a lot here and I'm not planning to leave. Are you refering to Dynasty? Haven't seen him posting for a while.

Guido

thomastem
10-30-2003, 10:55 AM
You guys chased Husker off this forum and that wasn't nice. Humor does have a place in poker. I notice that if fish enjoy their experience they don't mind losing more and I find humor is the best medicine after a bad beat.

Now we can get Husker back. I suggest that ss forum regulars start a post in both News/Views and the Zoo titled "Husker please come back we are sorry with hit you in the puttuties."

thomastem
10-30-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm afraid he has gone into hiding due to damage done to his psyche on this forum.

So what if he has credentials and things?

Homer
10-30-2003, 01:57 PM
There was an interesting thead (I thought, but I'm biased) going yesterday on betting your draws, and I was hoping to hear from a few of the more experienced posters but it quickly got pushed down.

If you think something important is being ignored, force it back to the top of the page. Just say "Hey guys, I think this is an important issue that warrants further discussion." Either that or "Bump!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-- Homer

MaxPower
10-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Guy,

I think things have been a lot better since Joe Tall's brief stint as the Small Stakes Czar (he used another term).

Most of the posts I see here recently are poker related. I was a little taken aback by Homer's attack on that guy, but I think he had it coming.

The thing that bothers me most on the forum recently is that people come with questions that can be easily answered by just studying the right books. If someone wants to learn poker, I don't think they should use this forum as a substitute for buying or reading a book. If there is something they don't understand from the book or disagree with, then this forum is great for discusing that.

I think of the veteran posters here like teaching assistants. If you were taking a chemistry class you wouldn't ask your TA what the atomic weight of clorine was - you would look it up on the periodic table. But you would ask your TA about something the book or lecture than you don't understand or can't apply.

Its the same thing here. People shouldn't be coming on here asking whether they should limp with QJo UTG or call two bets cold with J7s.

OK, I'll stop ranting. I love the forum and you guys are all great.

Mike Gallo
10-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Its the same thing here. People shouldn't be coming on here asking whether they should limp with QJo UTG or call two bets cold with J7s.

Agreed. I think players should post specific hands.

I myself get frustrated when posters ask questions such as "should I raise with QQ from the button after 4 limpers".

I also have a difficult time with the bad beat stories and the " I havent won a session in sooo long" posts.

Ok, I have ranted enough also.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
My pet peeve is the "I flopped Quads, How'd I Do?" type post.

JTG51
10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Good post Max. I'll just add that a lot of the problems with this forum could be fixed if people would use the search function once in a while. That would probably eliminate a ton of the redundant posts (the same ones that you correctly say can be answered by reading a book) and allow more room and time to discuss the interesting ideas/questions.

Mike Gallo
10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
My pet peeve is the "I flopped Quads, How'd I Do?" type post

I flopped a boat, did I play it correctly.

I agree, these types of posts aggravate me also.

Joe Tall
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed that a lot of very good posters, guys who added immensely to the education of others on this forum, have not been involved as much here lately or have left altogether. I'm afraid that this is the reason why, and I don't want to see others leave due to similar reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is try Guy, JTG got away for a bit, Dynasty, and Clark don't come around no more, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm not the most experienced poster here and that I don't have an established rep here really, but I just felt the need to make my displeasure known. I hope we can all, myself included, shape up in this regard and get down to the business at hand, which is improving our game. Let those who wish to gossip, flame, or otherwise distract from this forum's purpose do so in the Zoo, NV&G, or RGP, but let's please try to keep poker our main focus in the Small Stakes Forum, guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the prodigal son, Guy, keep posting. I thought Tosh was going to be the next one, but we turn to you, GOT, to lead the next generation.

Via this post, I will keep my posts strictly to Hand Analysis, and I'm going to make a post about it.

Nice Post Guy,
Joe Tall

HUSKER'66
10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
GOT, you have many valid points, and I for one enjoy the contributions you and others make to this particular forum. I, as well as my friend/archenemy thomastem, realize that I may be responsible for some of the recent clutter. We have discussed this on more than one occasion, and have agreed that the 5 remaining "Texas" posts needed to meet the requirements of our Zoo vs SS tourny wager will only be posted on the Zoo forum as well as News, views, and other....

Let's get back to "bidness" and start talking poker!!!
Outwit, outlast, outplay!

thomastem
10-31-2003, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Via this post, I will keep my posts strictly to Hand Analysis, and I'm going to make a post about it.

Nice Post Guy,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Why just hand analysis and not all things regarding profit at Small stakes?

Joe Tall
10-31-2003, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's get back to "bidness" and start talking poker!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back, Husk! Glad to see your enthusiasm!

[ QUOTE ]
Outwit, outlast, outplay!

[/ QUOTE ]

Great Ideal!

Peace,
JT