PDA

View Full Version : Does he have nuts, or is he just nuts?

DocHollyday
10-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Yesterday 10/20 online. We're playing six handed with lots of hands played, but seldom preflop raised. Our hero is in the sb and I get A /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif utg. I limp (under other conditions I'd fold this hand in this position). utg2 calls, button calls and sb calls.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

sb bets, bb raises, I cold-call, utg2 and button fold. sb three bets, bb and I call.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

sb bets, bb calls, I raise, sb three-bets, bb folds and I cap.

River: 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

sb bets, I raise and he three-bets. I'm really a bit worried suddenly, as I only have the third nuts. What would you do now? The guy was only playing a bit more than 1 orbit and somehow I had feeling he is tight, because I've seen him folding to raise, when he was in the bb and folding his sb. He wasnt playing many hands for the time he was in the game.

And what do you think about my play? Wrong to slowplay on the flop? I was pretty sure I had best hand, so I wanted to raise the expensive streets. Anyone played different?

WyattErb
10-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Well, the possibility that he's got the straight flush is superduper slim!!! i would raise the living hell outta him! otherwise i would played it just like you!

OrangeHeat
10-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Raise away!

If he goes to a five bet I would give more credence to the possibility he has the straight flush - but wait, I think online your closing the betting at four bets so no fear put the last bet in!!

I think it is more likely in the online 10/20 six handed games that he has overplayed a flopped str8 with a floosh draw or went crazy with a weaker flush. Maybe Qh9x or something like that.

On the flop with the small blind and BB thowing money in the pot I would be inclined to slowplay until the turn too because there is a good possibility small blind is betting out.

Of course an argument could be made for three betting the flop - the small blind may have capped and lead on the turn. Tough to say in hindsight.

Bottom Line: Your closing the betting - don't fear the cinch.

Orange

DocHollyday
10-31-2003, 05:58 AM
Thanks for your answers guys.

Ok, I was scared so I just called his three-bet on the river (by the way 4-betting is most you can do). He turns over Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I rub my eyes in disbelieve. However, he leaves after this hand and I hear the comment "I love this game" from another player. Sometimes they are just nuts. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ulysses
10-31-2003, 06:04 AM
With a 4-bet cap, I'd cap the river without even thinking about it. In a live game w/ no cap, I'd go a few more bets before starting to worry about him flopping a straight flush.

Here's a general rule I use: If I flop an Ace-high flush and you flop a straight flush, good for you, you'll get quite a few bets from me.

I think your flop play was fine.