PDA

View Full Version : First Omaha Hand... the funniest ever!

Oblivious
10-30-2003, 03:31 AM
So Ive only ever played Omaha for playmoney, but I decided to try .5/1 on party for a bit. Im a pretty good holdem player. My style is rather rock-ish, but I enjoy loose agressive tables, and can usually make money there.

I post in the cutoff and get delt:
K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Maniac in MP open raises. Two cold callers to me and I call for 1 more. This might be a mistake, but im a newbie /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Button calls, SB calls, BB folds. Six players.

Flop is:
2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

So I have the 2nd nut flush. SB checks, Maniac bets, limper calls, limper folds to me... I raise (with so many players, building the pot oughtweighs my interest in keeping people in, not that I expect many to fold anyway). Button calls, SB folds, Maniac calls, limper calls. Four players.

Turn is:
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif beautiful!

Maniac: "I check my flush"

Limper checks, I bet and all three players call me.

River is:
5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

So the board didnt pair, and Im having a pretty good time right about now, so I get a little cocky and say...

Oblivious: "This is my first Omaha hand for real money!"
Maniac: "How do you like it?"

Check, check to me. I bet, button folds, and I say...

Oblivious: "Its pretty wild, do you only need one diamond?"
Maniac: "No, you need two."

Maniac raises! Limper folds, and I reraise.

Oblivious: "I know, lol"
Maniac: "You sneaky dog u!"
Oblivious: "I had to try that hustle."

Maniac calls and I take down my first Omaha pot ~20BB.

Who's impressed?

crockpot
10-30-2003, 04:01 AM
you played it well, and talked it well /images/graemlins/wink.gif. of course, you didn't know this guy was a maniac at the time.

your pre-flop call is pretty borderline, though. i wouldn't play the hand for even one bet outside the blinds, although when you have already posted it's okay to call one more.

Oblivious
10-30-2003, 04:22 AM
Thanks Crock, Im really oblivious when it comes to playable Omaha hands. I know suited conecters with two different suits are good, but as far as weaker hands that can be played from better positions: i havnt a clue. I realized he was a maniac after this hand, where he proceded to play (and raise) every hand preflop. I just called him maniac to protect his identity.

I think Im going to get into Omaha. I plan on getting into it like I got into holdem: by reading all I can and building experience in the lower ranks. Earning money at holdem is a slow grind. I think the best way to be a professional is to play against gamblers, and games like Omaha and Pineapple seem to be more attractive to gambler types. Maybe if I develop some real skills these games could be more profitable.

iblucky4u2
10-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Oblivious - welcome to the sometimes wonderful sometimes hell world of O/8. I think you will enjoy and profit from the game.

To learn about what are hands that you want to see flops with - for one or more bets - get Ray Zee's book - it's the nuts!

Read this forum and check out the past posts - there are a ton of articles where people share their experience at the O/8 tables.

Thanks for the laugh - you chatted a great line! Good luck in your O/8 games.

tiltboy
10-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Was this an Omaha or a Omaha/8 game? I don't know much about Omaha, but in O/8 your had is pretty cheezy. I agree with crock, its probably worth putting in the extra bet from the cutoff and luckily you got the other callers you need to make this hand profitable should the flop hit you as it did.

Oblivious
10-30-2003, 04:48 PM
it was Omaha... looking back, the hand was pretty cheezey, and I dont think i would have called cold 2 bets, but perhaps would have limped on the button for 1.

crockpot
10-31-2003, 07:22 AM
i don't even think it is possible for a decent player to lose in party's limit omaha high games unless he tilts easily or decides to start playing 50% of hands dealt to him. if the game wasn't so boring, i think it is easily the best 3/6 action on party.

if you want a more entertaining game, the transition to pot-limit is not hard once you have gotten good at hand selection. in that game, what you really want is opponents who play passively preflop and loose-aggressive with mediocre hands postflop. they're rare, but make the game very profitable when you sit down with a couple.