PDA

View Full Version : $25 Party hand

Fistdantilus
10-29-2003, 09:55 PM
red AA MP, raise to $2 (stack $50, other people in the hand ~$25). Guy to my left calls, BB calls.

Flop: Qs 4d Ts

BB bets .50, I raise to $4, guy raises to 8. First guy folds. I call. Heads up.

Turn: 2c

check, check

River: guy bets $10, I call.

Comments? Too weak? Too much calling?

Fistdantilus
10-29-2003, 10:03 PM
I am getting reamed with hands like these: overpair or TPTK with a ragged board. He had TT and took me. Thankfully he didn't have more money. I had seen him lose twice in a row w/ QQ, which he played until the end when an A on the board both times, through much action.

The reason I post this hand is because I think that's a somewhat OK call. I won't do it against someone who's bets I respect, but I think laying this down every time is not the way to be either.

Fistdantilus

Guy McSucker
10-30-2003, 04:58 AM
Hmmm. I would have moved in on the flop and lost it all.

I think that's the right play, though. There are lots of guys on Party who will make this raise with any Q in hand, so you can't shut down to this small raise. Most of the time you are way ahead here; some of the time you are way behind, as it turned out you were.

It's also reasonable to go into check-call mode as you did. However, since you're out of position, once you start checking you are inducing further bets from someone with a Q, so you have to call all bets (so I like your river call). That being the case, I would rather put the money in on the flop and make him pay to outdraw you if you are ahead. You'd hate for a free card to rob you of the pot. There's also the small chance he's drawing to a flush or straight, and again he should be made to pay in that situation.

Guy.