PDA

View Full Version : Defense against the "re-steal"?

OrangeHeat
10-29-2003, 02:37 PM
A common play I have noticed in the online 15/30 games I visit is that when I am first in and raise on the button one of the blinds will call and auto-checkraise the flop.

Please comment on my defensive strategy - percentages aren't exact and change according to opponent, but you get the idea:

1. I have tightened up my requirements for stealing hands against the guys who do this regularly.

2. If I have a PP or hit the flop I will mix it up and three-bet the flop and bet the turn about 50% of the time or just call and go to war on the turn about 50% of the time.

3. If I miss the flop I tend to three bet and check the turn if no help and call river with reasonable hands (33%), call and fold to a turn bet with no help (33%), and call the flop planning on raising the turn (fold to a 3 bet though)(33%). Some folds to the checkraise on the flop mixed in for good-measure with no out/draws.

I think I am mixing things up well - do any of these variations not sound like reasonable strategies?

Thanks for the comments.

Orange

Aaron Lovi
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
I don't like the variation of 3-betting the flop followed by checking behind on the turn and occasionally folding to a river bet. That's a good way to cost yourself pots along with a couple of extra flop bets along the way. Follow through with a bet on the turn instead.

OrangeHeat
10-29-2003, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I miss the flop I tend to three bet and check the turn if no help and call river with reasonable hands (33%)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Aaron should be -

If I miss the flop I tend to three bet and bet the turn call river with reasonable hands (33%)

Orange

Paul Talbot
10-29-2003, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. I have tightened up my requirements for stealing hands against the guys who do this regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking how I could loosen my requirements because if they always check to you, you can just play a four card flop and then have position for the first betting round which is a double bet.

regards,

Paul

OrangeHeat
10-29-2003, 03:21 PM
WOW - I must be dense...never thought of it that way. VVG point.

I imagine after awhile if i was taking the four card flops I would have to start defending against steal attempts with the bets being doubled....

Checking through should probably be added to both lists then as a variation. Good point - Thanks.

Although I am not sure if I want to lower my starting requirements - I want some showdown type hands and some strength when i hit to get multiple bets comfortably.

Orange

Ulysses
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
You need to add check the flop in there somewhere. And not just when you miss.

Generally, your strategy seems fine, but point 3. makes it sound like you're giving way too much action when you miss.

OrangeHeat
10-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Yeah I just noticed that is wide gaping hole in the strategy...Paul mentioned this and I am adding it to points 2 and 3 to keep 'em guessing.

This is why I like posting here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.

Orange