PDA

View Full Version : Fulltime, what can I expect?

09-28-2001, 11:08 AM
Hi All.

I have been thinking about becoming a full-time poker player, very much in the last couple of months. At the moment i'm about to take a education, but this school life just isen't me, and I've tried a normal 9-17 job, and that isen't me either. All the time I think about about playing poker. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy for quitting school to play poker, but thats what I want to do. Don't any of guys know that felling??

So I was wondering if I do decide to play full-time poker, what can I expect?? First of all can it be done?? What limits it is possible to make a living at?? What does it takes from my side?? etc......

I would like to hear your opinions, specially from the ones who already is making a living by playing poker.

Thanks,

Daniel

09-28-2001, 11:35 AM
How to become a professional poker player: Quit your job.

It's that simple.

I say go for it, even if for no other reason to avoid later regret for not giving it a shot. What you can expect is going flat busted, scrounging up another stake, and going busted again. Repeat until you give up or figure it out.

When we talk about the very small percentage of players who pull it off, the presumption is that the percentage is small because very few play well enough to do it. Wrong. The percentage is small because the apprenticeship can be long and brutal and few have the gumption to stick with it. Think of Tom Petty's story. After he'd tried everything, and I mean everything, he mortgaged his house and soul. His family and friends said he was crazy, just as they'll say to you. Petty gave it one more swack, and got signed, and released "American Girl." Yeah, looks easy for him now. But this man put it all on the line. It can take that kind of conviction to make it at poker, even more so, because "all on the line" might never end.

The two killers are, worry and regret. When you get rid of those, you can be a HAPPY pro.

Tommy

09-28-2001, 12:32 PM
people should follow their dreams. but you can still play alot and attend school. so have it both ways somewhat. also with an education you can use your money to better use after you make it hopefully. id try both for awhile then branch into the career you like. also if you dont like studying you may not take the time to learn enough about poker which may limit you do a marginal existense.

09-28-2001, 06:00 PM
Daniel,

I'm about five months ahead of you. I moved to Las Vegas from Masachusetts in May to take my shot at a professional career. And my playing experience prior to arriving here was a meager 19 hours of 1-3 stud at Foxwoods over Easter weekend.

Despite how irrational that decision sounds (It still sounds nuts to me!), I've been taking a patient and disciplined approach to developing my skills. I only played 1-5 stud during the summer in order to gain experience and prevent myself from losing money to superior upper-limit players. During my "spare" time, I read and studied constantly. I read a poker book about once a week and always read Card Player and Poker Digest magazines.

After four months, I was convinced that I was ready to move up in limits and started playing 5-10 stud and 3-6/4-8/5-10 Hold'em. I intend to stay at these limits until at least the New Year. If I can beat these games as regularly as I beat the 1-5 stud game, only then will I move up to the 10-20 limits.

The 2+2 forum has also become part of my studies-- both reading other posts and offering my own opinions.

You'll need to make a complete commitment to poker. Not just PLAYING. You'll need to commit to studying the game too. You need to figure out if you can make this type of commitment.

However, I don't think quitting school sounds like a good idea (I hope I don't sound like your Dad). I had three big advantages in trying this which I assume you don't have. First, I've already graduated college and have a BBA. Second, I've got 4+ years of work experience as an accountant and would have no difficulty getting a well-paying job here in Vegas if I decide to go back to the 9-5 world. And third, I came here with $40,000 which will cover my rent/bills for more than 2 years even if I only break even at the poker tables.

If it helps, you're not going to make a living playing 1-5 stud but I was able to pay about half my rent/bills with my winnings. I've only been playing at the 5-10 limits since Labor Day weekend so I haven't got enough playing time to make to substantial an opinion here. However, you could possibly squeak out a meager living at these limits.

We've all read the basic win rate formula: one big bet per hour. At the 10-20 limits, you'd be making $20 per hour. If you work 40 hours per week and 50 weeks a year, that comes to $40,000/year. If $40,000 is enough for you, then you can make a living at poker at the 10-20 limits. If it's not enough, you need to succeed at a higher limit.

My career will last until at least early March when my lease runs out. At that point, I'll have 10 months of experience and will be able to make a much better informed decision about my own life.

But I suggest you stay in school and get your degree. Then, you'll have options of both a "normal" career and a poker career. And you can use your non-school time to gain the experience and study the game in advance of starting a poker career.

09-28-2001, 08:47 PM
Dynasty says he is 5 months ahead of Daniel

my guess is that where he is REALLY ahead is on the $40,000

my guess is also that the shorter the experienc, the greater the need for a comfortable bankroll...if there is any one thing for Daniel to ponder, this is it

09-28-2001, 11:16 PM
There's no doubt that an unneccesarily large bankroll has taken all the pressure of me to win immediately at the low-limit tables or move up in limits quickly. Even if I fail, I'm going to have a great 1-2 year vacation in Vegas and I'll never regret trying.

09-29-2001, 07:44 AM
Back in 88, I lost my sales Job I had for 6 years, was upside down in my town house, and when IRS declared the IRA "not in complience" and then my father died that may, I took bankruptcy. Now I was free and clear with 2,300.00 a month in Renewals coming in, I decided at 37 I wanted to enjoy myself and learned how to card count at BJ or so I thought. With two Good friends who were also counters and alot better off than I was, we decended on vegas. The long and the short was, we found out we were not that good of card counters and I spent a year of my life enjoying myself going after the "Big Dream". So, as all the other advice I have seen come your way, mine to you is "if you are not hurting anyone else, like a wife or children, you should take a measured approach to your dreams,and enjoy them, you may not get another chance to do so, but make take a measured approach to this dream, so that you don't burn bridges behind yourself and you leave a path back, in case your dream is not what you thought it would be.

Yes, I still gamble, learned to play poker and have been playing

and learning for 6 years, but I still don't feel I am good enough to get out of the lower limits, and get into the bigger games, like 10-20 or higher as of yet. If you do, then take a shot at it, but remember, while skill and knowledge is very important, lady luck is a fickle bi_ _ _, and can leverage you

without any notice. Gambling is not a destination, but a journey in the most practical sense, you may be at the top of the heap one minute and the botton with in a short period of time later.

All the "professional gamblers" I have seen, have a real Career they work at and poker is their mistress.

Daniel J.