PDA

View Full Version : PLO8 - big high draw, no low draw, and a crappy turn

nicky g
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Is it just me or do you get a hand you can play beyond the turn about once a month in this game?

Anyhow, I have around $20 at .10-.25 limp on the button after a bunch of limpers with K /images/graemlins/club.gifq /images/graemlins/club.gifj /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Flop is A /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

UTG makes a small bet of about half the pot and gets two callers. I raise the pot to about $4 - mistake? My thinking was I have a big draw for high, including a lot of outs that won't make a low if they hit, and would like to push the low drawers out, though I suppose that's never going to happen at these stakes. I intened to check if I miss. Sure enough, I get two callers. Next card is an A. I get two checks. Any point in bluffing a big hand here? After all it would be consstent with my flop bet. Anyway I just check. A king flops on the river, making my straight. One guy checks, next guy goes all-in for $7, I fold.
Comments?

Paul2432
10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
I think you should fold this hand before the flop. That said, a turn bluff would most likely be futile. Most of the time you get lots of limpers in PLO8 at least someone has A2. Most likely someone holding an ace is not going to fold with two aces on the board, particularly if they hold A23 giving them the low draw to go with it.

On the river you are most likely beaten but you are getting decent odds on a call. I might call here particularly if the bettor recently took a bad beat or otherwise seemed to be on tilt. You only need to be right about 25% of the time to show a profit calling in this situation.

Paul

Greg (FossilMan)
10-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Against good players a check on the turn would be a mistake, as you would take down the pot most of the time. Against bad players, your check is probably correct.

However, now that you made your hand and your check on the turn could easily have induced a bluff, I think you need to call here. You will win more than often enough for the call to be +EV.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

crockpot
10-29-2003, 05:31 PM
i don't like the raise. you have no hand right now, and well over half the deck will make you want to fold on fourth street. had the flop somehow contained only one low card, this raise would make a lot more sense.

by the way, this is a very marginal call preflop. notice that you caught an excellent flop for your hand and you still can't raise, which is a good indication that you shouldn't have been there in the first place.

as for your river play, contradictory to the others, i vote for a fold here. you have two players who have called a pot raise on the flop, no one can have the nut or second nut flush draws, and if someone else has KQJx you will only get half the pot. in addition, bluffing in this game is not rampant, so i would only call this bet against a good aggressive player.