PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable

09-28-2001, 02:39 AM
Hi

As a beginner hold'em player I feel very uncomfortable in this in frequent situation.

For example I bet with AK in EP and there a about 1 to 4 callers.

The flop is, lets say

J, 9, 3

Should I just bet every round if I only get called? I guess you would with only one caller!? but what do you do against 3 or 4.

How would you play against loose, not so good players?

PS. If your in the mood for a long reply. How do you play with a middle pair if you where one of the callers?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Peter

09-28-2001, 12:16 PM
A random hand will have a pair or a draw about 1/3 of time on the flop. Therefore a hand will MISS the flop about 2/3 of the time. You are a favorite with your AK against 1 player. The chances 4 players miss is (2/3)**4 = 16/81 = 20%. There is a HUGE difference between 1 caller and 4 callers. 1 caller means you PROBABLY have the best hand and 4 callers means you are unlikely to do so.

Generally in early position you should routinely be trying to show down the best hand. There is little reason to get cute since you probably don't have the best hand and are unlikely to get someone with a pair to fold. There is no shame in raising pre-flop and then check-fold on the flop; and you should do this fairly often.

4-callers is a lot. Wait for better opportunities such as when you have a nut 3-flush.

- Louie

09-28-2001, 01:26 PM
Unless there is a COMPELLING reason not to, I'd raise AK in early position. Cuts down on the number of people you'd be playing with...

However, if I don't flop top pair with this hand, I'm probably going to check/fold unless I've got at least a backdoor draw to the nuts. I might get top pair on the turn or hit my flush/straight, otherwise I'm out, unless I'm getting proper odds to hit my made hand. I was loosing way to much money when I married my pre-flop raised hands. When the flop misses you, ESPECIALLY in early position save your money and get out.

I'm assuming you are playing low-limit since you are a beginner. I'm doing much better when I stopped playing fancy against other low limit players, they don't give you enough credit for your good hands and will pay you off.

Sure you don't ALWAYS want to fold when you don't hit top pair, but that's why you stay in with 3 and 4 flushes and backdoor/gutshot straights.

That's my advice, I'm a beginning player too, so take it as you will.

09-28-2001, 01:50 PM
Have you read bob ciaffone's book "improve your poker?" There is an excellent discussion of this exact problem in thebook.

Essentially with 1 or 2 players you should be betting very frequently on the flop, normally you will be getting good odds to bet. With three players it is close and with 4 players you should generally check and fold.

Obviously these are not hard and fast rules. Depending on the player there are situations where you might not bet against one player or might bet against 4 players.

As far as the turn you must make a similar judgment as to the likelihood of success. But you generally should check more on the turn than on the flop. The reasons are fully discussed in hpfap.

Pat