PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck right?

Yeknom58
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
party multi. 130/700 left.

I think the blinds were 150/300 not sure though.

I have about 2300 left.

4 limpers, SB complete and I check with Jd6d

Flop:5d, 5c, 7d.

SB checks. I bet 800 to test the waters. 2 Callers.

Do you bet more/less or check. Call any bets. Not sure what to do here. I figured 800 is enought to make overs think twice but a 5 will probably raise me and I can mull over my decisions.

Turn: 10d.

I make min 300 bet hoping to send out the "I'm weak signal". EP caller raised me 300 so I went all in. He thought for a bit and called me with Ad4d.

My thoughts on the small bet/raise all in. If I just went all in I figured the only callers would be a slowplayed FH or bigger flush. But if I made a min bet/re-raise I might get some pair to bluff at the pot. How do you treat a J high flush.

Copernicus
10-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Either I need more sleep or you didnt post your hand

Yeknom58
10-29-2003, 11:30 AM

Copernicus
10-29-2003, 12:30 PM
You are out of position and only have a draw to a flush that isnt near the nuts, not where I would offer 25% of my stack to a paired board. You arent "testing the waters" as much as getting yourself pot-bound to call a re-raise or donating TC800. A real hand is going to bet it and deprive you of drawing odds, so you should check and fold to a bet. If there is no action and you see the 5th diamond you are going for the full ride, and that may still have happened because the EP seems overly cautious or he was slow-rolling you. With that board and the betting he cant think he's up against more than trips.

Your Mom
10-29-2003, 03:22 PM
how did you end up last night yeknom? I finished 112, very disappointning.

tewall
10-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I agree with Copernicus, but I don't think your flop bet is bad if you thought you had a good chance of taking it down. But "testing the waters" is a poor reason to bet, IMO.

Yeknom58
10-29-2003, 03:56 PM
I agree with analysis but I did leave one thing out. The table at the time was playing very weak tight with lots of limping and folding on the flop. I gave myself a high probability of taking the pot right there. But I agree with your analysis and should have checked it.

Yeknom58
10-29-2003, 04:00 PM
check the results I think they are still up. I got busted around 128-130. I was pretty bummed especially about my last hand, hence the post. I made some retarded errors near the end. Oh well, alway next time.

Yeknom58
10-29-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm not the best writer and I actually felt I would take the pot on the flop. By testing I meant I would probably take the pot and if raised I can fold. How about this I was kicking the waters.

tewall
10-29-2003, 04:23 PM
How about, "I thought a bet had a good chance of taking it down right there" ?

I just brought up this point because a lot of players do bet to "test the waters", which isn't a good reason to bet. If you bet because you've made a judgement, and you're acting on that, that's entirely another thing.

With the blinds that high, you can't get away from the flush over flush or possible full house. You didn't have much time to make a move, and that wasn't a bad chance. (Assuming you've made the flop bet). I also like the way you played the turn, for the reasons you gave.

Scooterdoo
10-29-2003, 05:37 PM
You're in early position have no idea what anyone else has at this point, you only have a draw and it's far from the nuts. You are betting a significant portion of your stack and with this amount of players left you are likely going to get called AND you could be drawing dead. If you paired up one of your cards AND had the draw perhaps it would be okay to bet what you did or better to go all-in.

I would check and fold to any significant bet. If there was a small BB bet I would call. However when the turn came my way I would then make a T800-ish bet and then fold if someone came over the top of me with a large raise. Most anyone who would come over the top of you with a flush draw on the board likely has the Q, K or A flush.

CrisBrown
10-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi Yeknom,

My concern here is with your "sniffer bet" on the flop. I often make these kinds of "sniffer bets" in a HEADS-UP pot because there's a decent chance to take the pot right there if the other player has missed, and if he's hit hard I'll know where I stand. However, if my "sniffer bet" is called or (worse!) raised, I assume I'm behind and either fold (vs. a raise) or just check it to the river unless I make the nuts.

I might also make a "sniffer bet" in a three-way pot, trying to get it heads-up ... but only when I already have a hand (even if only bottom pair).

But your "sniffer bet" in a six-way pot just doesn't play well. It's very unlikely that all five opponents will fold to that small of a bet -- and making a bigger bet on a come hand with a pair on board would've been a huge mistake -- and you're out of position, so you're much better off just checking and letting someone else test the waters.

Once you caught the flush, you're in a tough spot. An A-, K-, or Q-high flush beats you, and with this many players in the pot that nightmare is very possible.

All in all, this goes back to a basic rule of no-limit Hold'Em: "Never go broke in an unraised pot." Your hand wasn't strong enough to risk your entire stack there, and given your tournament standing, you didn't need to. Let it go and wait for another time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cris