PDA

View Full Version : UB supersat tourney - Please review my play

Cigwin
10-29-2003, 12:01 AM
UB supersat just after the first break. About 95 players left out of 139. Top 10 win the $2,000 entry into the $1M tourney. Blinds are 50/100.

SB has T5260.
I have T2940.
MP has T3425.

Folded to MP who limps, SB completes, I check the BB with 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, I bet 100, MP calls, SB folds.

Turn is K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet 100, MP raises to 800, I re-raise to 1,500, MP calls

River is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I go all-in for 1,240, MP calls.

I don't play a lot of NL so I'm interested in your opinions on how I played each street.

Stagemusic
10-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Pre-flop...what's to say? You got a "free" looksee

Flop. You got your trips, I would have bet higher. Your minimum bet allowed the MP player to stay in the hand with little exposure. I would have bet a minimum of the pot plus the minimum which would have cost you $400 at that point. Make him really think about the value of the call at that point.

Turn doesn't help you but the board is scattered too. Since you didn't bet high on the flop a good strong bet here tells him that you have a hand. Minimum bets here get you nothing...but raised,which is what happened.

River...ugh. He just filled up. Your inability to get him off his hand just cost you. You filled too so thought your hand was good. He had K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif (just a guess for fun).

PlayerA
10-29-2003, 11:13 AM
I would bet the pot on the flop. If you have the best hand, then it is highly vulnerable to draws. Moreover, you may not have the best hand. A8s would not be out of the question. You may also be drawing 100% dead since 89s is another possibility. 99 is another possibility.

On the turn, if I was called after betting the pot on the flop, then I would be worried that I am already beat. However, I would probably make another big bet. Not necessarily the pot since that would be overkill to kill drawing odds.

On the turn, in your situation, the problem with your bet is you have no idea if your opponent is playing back at you or has you beat. Your bet was weak. Therefore, your opponent may just be playing back at you. With your re-raise, he is on the border if he is still drawing (implied odds probably tip it to a call).

The river is not a good card for you at all. Unless your opponent is an idiot (or reads you for a bluff), you have made a bet that can only be called if you are beaten (or tied since an 8 with a kicker other than A or K will be a tie).

Cigwin
10-29-2003, 01:02 PM
MP turns over K9 and takes down the pot with a bigger boat than mine. I'm out of the tournament.

Good call Stagemusic

Bozeman
10-29-2003, 01:56 PM
FWIW A8 is a tie too, A.