PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about...

Gamblor
10-28-2003, 05:14 PM
gun control?

tiltboy
10-28-2003, 06:12 PM
I think it is essential to hitting your target.

drudman
10-28-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm in the majority of Americans who support gun control.

Jim Easton
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
You realize this country was designed to protect the citizens from the tyranny of the majority, right? What percentage of your majority thinks fewer guns mean less crime? How many realize the opposite is the case? Professor Lott stumbled onto this by accident. He initially set out to prove more guns meant more crime. However, the data didn't support that conclusion.

tiltboy
10-28-2003, 06:24 PM
A majority of Americans at one time supported slavery.

Lost Wages
10-28-2003, 06:29 PM
I'm for it, or against it. Depending on which one of us is holding the gun.

Lost Wages

squiffy
10-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Hey, did you know that I earned well over 50 million Swedish Kroner last year, just through online poker bonuses? No, really!!!

RollaJ
10-29-2003, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A majority of Americans at one time supported slavery

[/ QUOTE ]

Many still do....just look at P.Diddy (ironic isnt it)

drudman
10-29-2003, 12:11 PM
You're right Jim, now that I think of it, I should support guns so as to not get swept up by the tyranny imposed by people who don't think civilians need to have assault rifles.

I'm not necessarily saying that guns should be outlawed (at this time), but that mandatory waiting periods... regulations on safety standards... mandatory reporting of handgun sales... these are things that make sense. Common sense says it's a good idea to not let people buy guns over the counter, no questions asked and with no way of tracking the sale. If you think that's tyrannical of our government to ask, well... that's another problem altogether.

What irks me Jim is that the government has no problem passing a bill (fairly fraudulently) that allows government agents to see what library books you're taking out, read your emails, even search your things without telling you... but they think it's an awful violation of your privacy to see if you have purchased any Glocks recently when someone ends up mysteriously dead.

And make no mistake, this country was designed to keep rich white statesmen in power... one provision of that was to give the standing population the right to bear arms so that they could fight and die to keep the colonies from being invaded.

mosch
10-29-2003, 12:12 PM
I believe that gun control is a poor discussion topic for an Internet Gambling forum. I would definitely vote against any representative who disagreed with me on this point.

drudman
10-29-2003, 12:17 PM
The country has changed tiltboy. If your point is that sometimes the majority is wrong, that may be. But people also didn't see the need to have gun control then. So isn't it of course possible that they were wrong then, just like the majority was wrong about slavery?

JayCo
10-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Homer Simpson of course had the all-time best argument against gun control & the mandatory waiting period before buying a gun- "But I'm angry NOW!"

tiltboy
10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Are you arguing your point or mine?

jcx
10-29-2003, 02:24 PM
I agree this is a poker forum and posts should be kept to poker. But if we can have a discussion about whether women have seen their vaginas then I couldn't ignore this important topic. The Bill of Rights is not a buffet table from which to pick and choose what we like and don't like. Take away our ability to protect ourselves and you and your family will be at the mercy of criminals and bureaucrats. For an example of what the future could look like here if the gun control lobby gets its way, read Ilana Mercer's fine column:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33945

DougBrennan
10-29-2003, 02:46 PM
I personally would be in favor of getting rid of all guns, everywhere, forever.
But given the government's past success in banning alcohol, and their current brilliance in dealing with drugs, why on earth would enthusiasts care what the government decides it's going to do about guns?

Cyndie
10-29-2003, 02:55 PM
I think the tie in is individual rights/responsibilites...and the rights of governments to legislate gambling/gaming and the path from giving up one right to having soneone figure you were an easy target...for taking more rights and privileges.

However, one more point about gun control...and I never had a gun in my home in my life, and only was around one on farms and ranches, except the time I took my son and his friends to a shooting range for a twelfth birthday party.

I wanted them to know the *kick* of a gun without having to be curious if they ever found one unattended...I wanted them to know about gun safety before they had a chance to make one of those life or death mistakes.

I would like to see something similar as a right of passage for all children. P.S. my daughter was only six at the time, and the shooting range wouldn't allow her to actually shoot a gun, but she sure did watch and listen!

Cyndie
10-29-2003, 02:59 PM
just because the majority supports taking rights from others...doesn't make it right...the "inalienable rights" are not given or taken by man...without disastrous consequences.

It is a "karma" thing...what you give out, comes back to haunt you...easiest thing is to respect the rights of others, and you don't have to guard your back quite so much, cause other like minded people will help watch it for you!

Poker players certainly should understand the "long run" it works in life too, IMO...and the opinions of many of the world's philosophers.

Cubswin
10-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Homer: I'd like to buy you deadliest gun please

Gun store owner: Aisle six next to the symapthy card.

best episode ever....hands down

JayCo
10-29-2003, 03:53 PM
A classic.

TVTome has a great episode guide with quotes, cultural references, etc.

http://www.tvtome.com/Simpsons/guide.html

Homer: I'd kill you if I had my gun.
Clerk: Yeah, well, you don't.

Gun Shop Owner: Whoah! Careful there Annie Oakley.
Homer: I don't have to be careful, I got a gun.

"Five days!? But I'm mad now!" -Homer

"I felt this incredible surge of power, like God must feel when HE'S holding a gun" -Homer

J

BogeyWan
10-29-2003, 04:53 PM
The problem is when people who have never been around guns, dealt with guns, etc. suddenly decide they need a gun and then runs out and buys a handgun. All they know about guns is from watching Dirty Harry, Lethal Weapon, etc.
That's like the people who watch Maverick and Rounders and immediately flop down at a poker table. Just a recipe for disaster. Neither knows the reality of what they've undertaken.
And a lot of people believe having a gun exempts them from rational decision making.

tiltboy
10-29-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm inclined to believe the danger in guns is having them in the hands of morons who can't control their emotions or who lack the ability to think rationally as opposed to inexperienced gun owners. Even an inexperienced gun owner who can think rationally knows enough to keeps guns in a place that is inaccessible to children for example, whereas, some morons I know who have been around guns their entire lives are extremely casual about where and in what state they leave their firearms.

stripsqueez
10-30-2003, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You realize this country was designed to protect the citizens from the tyranny of the majority, right? What percentage of your majority thinks fewer guns mean less crime? How many realize the opposite is the case? Professor Lott stumbled onto this by accident. He initially set out to prove more guns meant more crime. However, the data didn't support that conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

you see an issue that such a discussion is not about poker - i see that such a discussion is on an internet forum

what country ??

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Cyndie
10-30-2003, 01:48 AM