PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Action?

09-22-2001, 01:39 PM
I have a trip planned to Vegas (Bachelor Party) next weekend, Sept 28-Oct 1. How has the action been since travel has been limited? Particularily interested in the Mirage 10/20 and 20/40 HE and the Bellegio 15/30 and 30/60 HE?

Anywhere else going strong lately that I should try?

Thanks in advance.

09-22-2001, 03:33 PM
I played at the Mirage last weekend (although, it was stud and not your Holdem games) and the place had MANY empty tables when it is usually packed on the weekends. A dealer told me the hotel was only around 50% capacity. I'm going to the Mirage today and tomorrow so I'll give you an update Sunday night but I think you can expect less action than usual but it should still be sufficient.

09-24-2001, 11:58 PM
The Mirage had a full room on both Saturday and Sunday. But I didn't look specifically for 10-20 and 20-40 games. I'm sure you'll easily find the games you want to play in.

09-25-2001, 12:26 PM
I'll at LV too 9/27-10/4 for the gaming convention. I'm sure I'll find sometime to play but I stick to LLHE 3-6 to 5-10. Any suggestions from the locals. Bellagio, Mirage, Mandalay Bay, Luxor or Excalibur. I'll be honest, I don't want to tangle with the sharks. Thanks in advance.

09-25-2001, 04:26 PM
I'll tell you what each place has first.

Mandalay Bay has a 4-8 game with a half-kill (6-12). They also have Hold'em tournaments Monday through Friday at 10:00am. Like all the small Strip poker rooms, they have bonuses for high hands. Specifically, they pay extra money for any four-of-a-kind or better using a progressive system.

Luxor and Excalibur have Hold-em but I don't know the specific spread (I've only played Stud there). Luxor has small bonuses for four-of-a-kind or better, a $1,000 bad beat jackpot, and freeroll tournaments of you play 10 hours within half a week. Excalibur has a "Wheel of Fortune" that you spin when you make a high hand and a small bad beat jackpot.

Monte Carlo has a 1-4-8-8 spread limit game. Like Mandalay Bay, they pay progressive jackpots for high hands. BTW, I got $380 for a Jack-high straight flush last Tuesday.

Bellagio? Do they have a poker room? Just kidding. I haven't played Holdem there (again, just stud) but they probably have either 4-8 or 5-10 because...

The Mirage spreads 3-6 Hold'em. No bonuses of any kind at the Bellagio or Mirage. A woman at my table hit a Royal Flush in diamonds at the Mirage last Sunday night and the dealer an floorperson joked about finding her a Mirage lighter as a bonus prize.

The Flamingo has 1-4-8-8 spread limit Hold'em. They pay bonuses for the two highest hands of the day.

Circus Circus has 3-6 Hold'em and the biggest bad beat jackpot on the Strip. It regularly gets over $20,000. They also pay small bonuses for high hands.

The Stardust, Frontier, and Riviera all have poker rooms as well but I haven't played Holdem there.

As for staying away from "sharks", I wouldn't be too worried about that. But, there are definitely rock-like regulars at the Luxor because they like to qualify for the freeroll tournaments. You'll also find the same type of rocks at Circus Circus when the bad beat jackpot gets big.

My reccomendations for low-limit Hold'em would be 1. Monte Carlo and 2. Mandalay Bay.

There will be a few more regulars at Mandalay Bay but if they have two or more games going (which is common), you can win a significant majority of the time.

09-26-2001, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm on my way to the airport this PM. Maybe I'll bump into you. Probably at Mirage, Bellagio, or Mandalay Bay. Just in case, I'm a little Oriental guy with glasses wearing a "FDNY" hat.