PDA

View Full Version : Cast out the results demon

09-20-2001, 10:08 AM
My general question about playing from the small blind was prompted by my play in a specific hand that is laden with results based regret. However, more than the results/regret, the hand made me realize I don't have a plan for this situation. Thus, I'm really more interested in the general question than whether I played the specific hand correctly. Please bear with me.

General Question(s): Playing from the small blind (half bet) and facing a raise from the button after two limpers. Assuming I do not know the players well, what are the marginal hands for calling for 8:3 odds with the big blind still to act? Assuming I do know the players, what traits of theirs should make me tighten up and loosen up from the marginal hands based on the odds? Is this the correct way to approach the situation?

My hand: $0.50-$1 at Paradise. 2nd UTG and cutoff limp, button raises. I have Jh9h and I fold, button and limpers call.

Board (in order) was 6d Qh Kh Th Ks. Flop betting was checked to the button who bet and both limpers call. Turn was checked through. The cutoff bet his Js9s straight and button called and won with QQ full house.

Any comments welcome.

09-20-2001, 11:31 AM
You should always play when you will end up with a straight flush.

Seriously, you see the folly of being results laden (as you call it; bad choice of word these days). I would play J-9s from the small blind when it looks like it's going to be 5 handed. Drawing hands are desirable in a pot that looks like it's going to have 5 or more players, even out of position from the small blind. This is especially true if the players are passive, since this means it's going to be cheaper to get to the river to see if you hit your draw. Tighten up on playing drawing hands if the game is more aggressive.

09-20-2001, 03:14 PM
In general, don't play anything but strong hands from the SB when faced with a raise. This is especially true if a decent player raises two limpers. I don't mind your J9s fold from the SB for a raise in the situation you mentioned. Think about it, did you really want to play J9s against QQ for a raise? Another generality is that you shouldnt' be looking for reasons to call raises from the SB, and this might help you make such decisions in the future. Being badly out of position should be a major consideration when deciding whether to play out of the SB or not. Exactly where the marginal hands start, I am not sure, but in the situation you mentioned, I would fold most hands below group 2. If you couldn't raise yourself from the SB, you should probably fold to someone else's raise.

Dave in Cali

09-20-2001, 05:55 PM
such a bad position....I like Dave's thought....if you would not raise with the hand, then don't call IN THAT POSITION.