PDA

View Full Version : Quiz: Paradise - LowLimit - TdAd in CutOff

09-19-2001, 08:59 PM
You are in the CutOff with TdAd - there is one early limper (EL) to you - you call - SB calls - BB checks. 4 players (the blinds, EL and you) to see the flop:

[ 7c As 5h ]

It's checked to you - you bet - SB calls - BB folds - EL raise.

Q1: How do you like your play so far? Pretty good - right ?

Q2: Now what ? Fold, call or raise ?

Q3: Would it make any difference if SB had folded to your flop-bet ?

Any comments appreciated !

09-19-2001, 10:02 PM
I would prefer raising with ATs preflop with only 1 limper to buy the button. Perhaps that would've make this hand more straight forward.

Since you just flat call preflop, assuming you have no history of how the limper plays, I would 3 bet to find out if he's just testing you and play accordingly. Often people will just muck when you 3 bet them on the flop.

09-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Q1. A decent case can be made for raising preflop.

Q2. This is a raise or fold situation. Since I would feel way too wimpy folding for a single check raise on the flop (especially since my flop bet looks like a typical late position steal), I would reraise to try and drive out the SB and get checked to on the turn. If my turn bet gets just called, I will bet the river for value (some of these low limit Paradise players call with any pair heads up). If I get check raised again on the turn, I lay down unless I know something about the player which could make me call.

Q3. If the SB folds to my flop bet, I would be more prone to just calling down (and betting if he checks) if I consider EL a decent player. Since my flop bet looks like a steal bet (especially because many players assume you would raise preflop in late position with a decent ace), he can raise with many weaker hands than mine. This is one of those situations where you are probably way ahead or way behind, so you may as well encourage him to continue betting a weaker hand (which he might fold if you show more strength) while also losing less if he has you beat. However, many low limit Paradise players will call down with all sorts of junky pairs once the hand gets heads up. Against this type of player, I would reraise the flop and bet it down, probably folding if I get check raised again.

09-20-2001, 02:56 AM
Q1: I would raise before the flop.

Q2: Call

Q3: By raising before the flop, if you get less players your chances of winning without improving go up.

09-20-2001, 04:05 AM
Preflop, it is close between raising and calling. With ace-jack suited, I would raise. With ace-ten suited, it is not a major poker decision to raise or call.

On the flop, when check-raised, folding is ridiculous. Your opponent is more likely to have a weaker ace than a hand that beats yours. With ace-king or ace-queen he probably would have raised preflop. I would call. A case could be made for reraising but I think this is overplaying your hand unless you are trying to force the third player out.

If the small blind had folded so that it is heads-up, this is more of incentive to just call and not reraise since there is no longer a third player to eliminate. Let your opponent keep betting his weaker ace. In this way, you maximize your gain and minimize your loss when you are beat.

09-20-2001, 11:26 AM
Q1 - Raise the flop. Get more money in.

Q2 - EL could be slowplaying a set. Or he could have Ax. Depends on the player. Raise back to get the SB out and find out where EL stands.

Q3 - Probably not.

09-20-2001, 11:37 AM
Q1: I would raise pre-flop. You could buy the button and eliminate one or both blinds, increasing your chances of your A-T winning unimproved either in a showdown or by semi-bluffing.

Q2: You certainly can't fold. I would re-raise, given that a bigger Ace would probably have raised pre-flop and there's no apparent reason why A-7 or A-5 wouldn't have bet the flop. Plus your re-raise might drive out the small blind.

Q3: More reason to just call, rather than re-raise, if the small blind had not called your original flop bet.

09-20-2001, 12:05 PM
1. I dont think the play is good so far since you should raise preflop in this situation.

2. EL could be raising with a weaker ace, since you checked preflop, so I would either reraise the flop or just call and let him bet into you on the turn so you can raise then. This choice depends on knowledge of EL. Most players will raise with an A that beats you preflop so i would probably call and then try to raise on the turn. Folding is obviously out of the question. If he flopped a set so be it, and this is more reason to call IMO, but it is close between reraising and calling on the flop.

3. It might make a difference but keep in mind that you still would probably make the same play here on the flop regardless of the SB. Your play is primarily based on the fact that you have the best hand and are trying to get the most profit out of it by playing correctly against EL. You might be more likely to reraise on the flop with the SB in, but he will likely call you anyway.

Pat

09-20-2001, 01:24 PM
formerly Jack,

Before the flop with a suited ace/marginal kicker on the cutoff you should raise a single limper. As a matter of fact, you generally should raise more liberally from this seat then you would on the button. And one limper and the blinds cry out to be pounded with a decent ace.

When the early limper checkraises both you and a blind trapped in between it tends to indicate a strong hand since there is no draw on board. My guess is you are up against two pair (perhaps aces up) or even a set held by the limper. The blind could be strong too when he just calls this flop. Since the pot is small and you have little chance of improvement I would fold.

If both blinds folded when you bet the flop and you were now head up there is a much better chance the limper is making a move on you without much of a hand. I would usually call unless he is an unimaginative rock that always has to be strong to make this play.

Regards,

Rick

09-20-2001, 01:33 PM
I forgot the title of this thread when I answered above. It was very low limit so the checkraise doesn't mean much. I would tend to call it down or even reraise.

Regards,

Rick

09-20-2001, 01:36 PM
I would raise pre-flop with the probable best hand and hopefully to buy the button.

I would raise the flop to drive out the SB. UTG could checkraise any ace here since you didn't raise pre-flop

09-20-2001, 02:35 PM

09-20-2001, 06:30 PM
Q1: I know - I tend to respect early limper(s) too much.

Q2: In the actual hand I re-raised and both folded which somewhat disappointed me. But with the SB still in there the play is right.

Q3: In the case only confronting EL calling is a much better play.

Thanks all !