PDA

View Full Version : NL Tourney hand: the flop hit me hard

Nate tha' Great
10-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Would appreciate commentary on how I played this.

Party n/l SNG. I am placed 4th/7 among the remaining players with 785 chips. Two players have large stacks, one of which is the Button in this hand. The blinds are still just 10/15.

I'm dealt 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. There are four limpers to me (perfect) and I complete. The BB checks his option.

The flop comes 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and the action is on me.

I bet 50 chips. I've taken to sometimes making a small bet with my draws so as to deter people from making huge bets that I won't be in a position to call. I have no idea whether this is proper or not. At any rate, EP folds, and MP, CO and Button all call.

The turn is 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, giving me a straight. I bet 300 chips, roughly the size of the pot. MP and CO fold but Button calls.

River is a blank (4 /images/graemlins/club.gif) and I just check, intending to call a raise.

Will post the results later, but I'm curious what people think of my play, and what they put Button on.

NoTalent
10-27-2003, 02:23 PM
I would put the button on some sort of draw since he didn't raise you, and with a large stack--calling your 50 bet is nothing.

I'm not sure what type of player he is, but if you checked to him and he has nothing he might raise you to see if you would fold--or he would just check.

Nate tha' Great
10-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Button just checked the riv. He had T9 for top two pair and I took the pot.

Would anyone have bet the river? I was worried about getting trapped by QJ.

DougBrennan
10-27-2003, 05:51 PM
I was going to say that I too would fear the higher straight, but in re-reading the post I realized that if I were holding the nut straight on the river (which he would have been, if he had it) I would go all-in to try to discourage the flush draws. His cold call strongly suggests that QJ is not what he's holding.

But I don't know if I'd have thought of that in the heat of the moment.