PDA

View Full Version : Off-topic: Magic the Gathering players?

Paluka
10-27-2003, 11:44 AM
I noticed in another thread that apparently many of you have played Magic the Gathering in the past. Do I know any of you guys? I'm pretty famous in the Magic world. Just wondering who is on here.

Later

Chris Pikula

daryn
10-27-2003, 11:47 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I'm pretty famous in the Magic world.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paluka
10-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Haha. yes, maybe that came out a bit wrong. i was just trying to communicate the fact that some of you might know me. I'm tempted to edit the post, but I think I'll let myself get made fun of instead.

jasonHoldEm
10-27-2003, 12:00 PM
I played when I was in high school (I had a kickass red/black deck), but then I went to college and discovered beer and girls (and then poker).

Sorry I've never heard of you MagicChamp ( /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ).

jHE

daryn
10-27-2003, 12:02 PM
MagicChamp.. good one.

yeah i too played a lot in the early years of high school. when exactly did i fall off the wagon.. hmm, i remember ice age. i was still pretty into it then. then chronicles, gross.. 5th edition, yeah that's pretty much where i jumped ship. i still have all my old school cards though

Paluka
10-27-2003, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played when I was in high school (I had a kickass red/black deck), but then I went to college and discovered beer and girls (and then poker).

Sorry I've never heard of you MagicChamp ( /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I enjoy reading your blog Jason, Keep em coming.
And you shouldn't make give me such a hard time, I'm pretty sure my Magic winnings still outnumber your poker winnings /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lorinda
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
No need to edit it, it's true.

I'll let the others reveal themselves if they so desire, but this board, and the online community in general, is jammed full of top magic players.

Personally I used to get phone calls from Warren Marsh asking me to help tune his decks, but am not a well known player myself.

(Anyone know a forum where 2 MTG pro-tours sounds good?)

Lori

jasonHoldEm
10-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Heh, just messing with ya. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The most money I ever made from Magic was when I sold my cards for $20 (this was a net loss of course)...double irony is the guy I sold them to went out and won a local tournament with my main deck. Figures.

Of course I really had no clue as far as strategy back then, but I do wish I had written down what was in my deck...maybe put it together again sometime in the future or something.

peace,
jHE

Paluka
10-27-2003, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll let the others reveal themselves if they so desire, but this board, and the online community in general, is jammed full of top magic players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just trying to flush out the ones I don't know about. I knew us Magic players were taking over when there we were making up half the Stars 100/200 game.

lorinda
10-27-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure my Magic winnings still outnumber your poker winnings

I don't know many poker players with their picture on a card /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lori

lorinda
10-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Ask Mr. Price if he still doesn't shuffle the bottom three cards when he shuffles a poker deck.

Lori

DrSavage
10-27-2003, 12:16 PM
I might have played some Magic.
Not that you don't know that /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

daryn
10-27-2003, 12:16 PM
i know one, my friend jack.

Paluka
10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ask Mr. Price if he still doesn't shuffle the bottom three cards when he shuffles a poker deck.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what this means. You won't find a straighter shooter than Mr. Price.

lorinda
10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Not sure what this means. You won't find a straighter shooter than Mr. Price.

Sorry, no slur intended.

We had a game at Chicago 99 or '00 and he was unconsciously not shuffling the bottom three cards (in poker, not magic) I had to show him what he was doing wrong.

I agree, Price is a good 'un.

Lori

MMMMMM
10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
I had a red speed deck, a black speed deck, and a green speed deck...and a few others...lol...it was a minor hobby but a lot of fun...I only played a couple of tournaments but liked the game a lot until they started changing the cards and rules too often, then I didn't think it was worth keeping up with...but I still have my decks;-)

Nottom
10-27-2003, 02:36 PM
I've heard of you ... Holy Pikula!

I've heard that many of the the top MtG pros play poker, I've always wondered what the % was.

I used to play a MTG like 24/7 it seemed but haven't done anything but limited in the last few years. A couple of my friends are heading down to PT-NO this weekend I was planning on going with them to hang out and go find a place to play some poker, but then I realized that I had tickets to that pesky VT-Miami game that is this weekend which at the time seemed important. Not sure what I'm ranting about so I think I'll stop now.

JayCo
10-27-2003, 04:06 PM
OK, I'll join in and out myself as a former Magic geek.

Out-nerd this: I wrote a Microsoft Access front-end to inventory and track my cards (complete with queries to compare databases of friend's card inventories and report possible trades for dup cards)

Anyone else play &amp; get hooked on the beta version of MTG Online? (It was free while they were testing it). Luckily for me, I got burned out on it before they started charging real $ for online cards.

J

Brian
10-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Hey Pikula,

&lt;---BDavis

-Brian

ZeeJustin
10-27-2003, 06:27 PM
&lt;---- a gamer, although not a great one.
I play in the DC area. I've been playing for around 8 years, JSSing at first. My best accomplishment is prolly finishing 9th at JSS champs. That is also my best magic "bad beat story" since i missed T8 on tiebreaks. I've played in 3 PT's, and 1 US nats, but never finished in the money in a major tournament. I think I've figured out that I'm better at poker than magic, and there's a lot more money to be made playing poker, so I've pretty much quit magic for poker.

P.S
Hi BDavis! I didn't know that was you. I thought you were just a random lurker

ZeeJustin
10-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my magic claim to fame. I slept through PT Nice!

Deadbuddha
10-27-2003, 07:27 PM
aye i know you, we've played each other in the drafts at neutral grounds ny, good to see you play poker too.

wayabvpar
10-27-2003, 08:05 PM
I dabbled way back in the old days (I think the latest expansion when I played was Antiquities or Arabian Nights, which ever one is more recent). I played the MtG Online beta, which was a total blast. A couple of weeks ago (after a horrid 2 weeks at Party Poker which eviscerated my bankroll) I decided to give online play a try.

I have a lot to learn still...I consistently get beat in the 3 leagues I play in online. Part is bad luck on the boosters, but most of it is my relative inability to construct a winning deck with limited cards, and then to play the deck properly in game. I get the feeling that I am a weak-tight Magic player, which is about as successful a player archetype as it is in the Poker world /images/graemlins/frown.gif

DrSavage
10-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Who are you deadbuddha?

ZeeJustin
10-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah, who are you? I've been to NG a few times myself.

Deadbuddha
10-27-2003, 09:47 PM
oh my name is cesar, but i havent been there in a looong time, i mostly go there whenever a new expansion comes out to play in the draft and get the free card hehe.

WillMagic
10-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Well, my claim to fame is that I almost qualified for Nationals this past year. 5-1 at a grinder is no fun. At least I got a feature match out of it /images/graemlins/smile.gif Especially when your deck has Infest. And Bane of the Living. And you can't draw either while Brock Parker completely outplays you in every respect. lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But, I got my wisdom teeth out a month after nationals, and then discovered online poker, and then made a ridiculous amount of money....and magic doesn't quite as interesting anymore for this 18 year old.

Will

ZeeJustin
10-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Edit: Oops, I was thinking you were talking about regionals and played Brock who was playing Elves, but you are talking about a limited grinder...

I made top 16 of our regionals this year playing tog. I was upset that I hadn't qualified for anything since Venice, so I decided to fly down to San Diego and give it a shot. I ended up getting lucky and winning the first grinder.

What's your name? If you are from DC, I probably know you.

Nottom
10-28-2003, 01:13 AM
You happen to know Mike Zaun or Tom Coppage? I think they know a lot of the DC crowd. They are my random friends heading down to NO.

WillMagic
10-28-2003, 01:15 AM
I'm Will Chamberlain, but you probably don't know me because I just moved here from the Bay Area. College at George Washington, etc.

Well, Brock's deck got the god elf draw both games. He got his wellwisher and I couldn't deal with it, and eventually he got big green guys that I couldn't deal with. It didn't help that infest and bane never showed up, only my silklash spider which was basically a big rear end against his deck. It's really too bad because my sealed was the best sealed deck i have ever seen. Beautiful sleek black-green with bane, silklash, infest, mythic proportions...and another bomb rare.

WillMagic
10-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Here's the feature match report:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/natus03/gr2

My deck was insane...lol

happyjaypee
10-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Hey Will, your dad rocks! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Happy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ThingDo
10-28-2003, 04:13 AM
I'm sure no one knows me, but I qualied for this years Nats by T8'ing in the SE Regionals. 556 Players... of course I scrubbed at Nats in the T2 portion and went 3-0 drop in the draft portion. I quit magic shortly there after.

RockLobster
10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey Chris--

We met at PTLA a few years back, I'm a friend of Hammer's. I've been out of M:tG since back then (did a brief online stint, but that's about it). You were the Stupid Green guy, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fryKing
10-28-2003, 02:30 PM
I play small limits on party with mixed success, sadly. I'm Zev's poker barn.

We miss you chris, come back and draft....

rich f

DrSavage
10-28-2003, 03:36 PM
holy [censored] batman, haven't seen you in a while.
what's your nick on party?

Brian
10-28-2003, 03:39 PM
It's bad enough to be Zev Gurwitz's Magic barn, but to be his Poker barn? That is embarassing.

-Brian

Ro-me-ro
10-29-2003, 06:04 AM
5 Pro tours for myself, but no real finishes to shout about (45th). I came 11th in Euros, I spose that was about the best result that I had.

Ro-me-ro

fryKing
10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
hey, I never said I was his Magic barn, I have some self-respect...

ZeeJustin
10-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I know both Coppage and Zaun. The man with no thumbs, and the loafing giant.
Do you know MDouglass? He travels from VT to tourneys w/ them sometimes I think.

JPolin
11-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I am also a former magic player. I played in a bunch of Pro Tours, my best finish was 24th in PT San Diego. I've barely played since I started to play poker, though I'm not very good at poker to be quite honest.

What I like is that the level of discussion on 2+2 is higher than any equivalent internet site for Magic. In particular the "30-60 hand with Malmuth" provided great insight into how one should think about a hand.

In addition it has proven more profitable for me to be a poor-mediocre poker player at 5-10 and 10-20 than to be a decent magic player. Add to that the fact that most of my magic-playing friends play poker and there is very little reason to play magic at all.

-JPolin

EFro
11-08-2003, 01:59 AM
i play magic. im not any good. i also play poker. im not any good at that either.

EFro

Nottom
11-08-2003, 02:59 AM
Is that Morgan? I've met him a few times, but I really haven't seen much of the M:tG crowd since I moved out of BBurg.

SpicyF
11-08-2003, 03:32 AM
I tried Mtg once at a local Mtg shop here in Sweden vs some kid, I really didnt have a clue what I was doing but my friend Andreas told me some tricks during the game. Ofcourse i whooped the 10 year old kid. So I remain undefeated in this game /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gutshot Jimmy
11-08-2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah of course I've heard of you Chris. I'm watching Kyle Rose right now get his ass kicked on the Stars $100-200 game.

I'm an Albertan who has qualified for Canadian Nats pretty well every year and a few PT's, but I've only gone to PT Chicago this year and a couple of Nats due to school and a lack of plane fare. My claim to fame is an infamous 9th at Can Nats a while back where my friends drug me away; just after I left one guy got DQ'd and I would have made it in. Not only that I probably would have easily won as I was playing my Counterhell deck and the rest of the field was CadBloom and those slow BG Volrath's Stronghold decks.

Anyways I've been stomping some Party $3-6 heads so if anyone plays there say hi lol.

Poker and Magic have the same allure so it's not surprising at all to see several people playing both...

PokerPrince
11-08-2003, 07:29 AM
Wow, I used to play MTG a looooooooooooong time ago before all this type 2 garbage came out. I had all the big stuff too: Lotus,moxes,power blue,etc. but sold them all and got a ripoff deal. Those were the days when your opponent just sat there while you took 6 turns in a row and quadruple berkserked one of your creatures to attack for 64. I was looking at some of the beta and alpha cards on ebay to see how much they're worth and it's INSANE. Wish I kept em' all I could buy a porsche.

PokerPrince