PDA

View Full Version : are there any online legends?

zamora
10-27-2003, 11:14 AM
hi everybody,
after reading the posts about Stu Ungar in the n,v,g forum i have a question.

are there any online legends and/or icons? if so, who are they and could you please share some stories or gossip about them.

i am fairly new to the game (had never even heard of texas hold'em before january) and i havenīt got the background and solid knowledge about poker that i think a lot of you guys have. my guess is that many of you have been along all the way from when internetpoker started.

peace.

daniel

thomastem
10-27-2003, 11:28 AM
There are legends online. For example Husker is really Elvis, but I don't think that's what you are asking. Erik123 is probably one with the most name recognition and I believe has won the largest Purse for online tourneys.

GrannyMae is probably the most well known on this forum.

There are also pros that play online. Phil Helmuth and Annie Duke play on UB. I've seen tourneys on True with David Sklansky.

Now I suck at Poker but if someone messes with me I have a herd of animals to bring the hammer down. The pros ain't so good when my buzzard is constantly pecking at their head or my Bison in heat is eyeing them.

Inthacup
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
A swede who uses the name Erik123 is becoming somewhat of an Internet legend, although he hasn't been around since Internet poker started or anything. He has been around for a few years though. He's only 20 yrs old, and is very highly respect by many for his NL play. He won over 100k in the Stars WCOOP this year. Pretty formidable stuff.

The problem is that most of the most profitable online players/legends work very hard to divert any attention they may attract. This is a smart thing to do at the high limits, but it doesn't do much for online poker lore.

Cup

Aceshigh7
10-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Like him or not, I have to say Chris Moneymaker could be considered an online legend in poker. Yea, he had an enoromous string of luck, but who wouldn't love to be in his position?

Putting out Brenes, Chan, and Farha. Being the chip leader for most of the WSOP, and winning the 2.5 mil. Thats definitely a great story.

Your Mom
10-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Other than the hand against Brenes, where was Moneymaker lucky?

tiltboy
10-27-2003, 12:31 PM
OC is a legend in his own mind--does that count?

joeypoker789
10-27-2003, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like him or not, I have to say Chris Moneymaker could be considered an online legend in poker. Yea, he had an enoromous string of luck, but who wouldn't love to be in his position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, but luck counts too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

thomastem
10-27-2003, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Other than the hand against Brenes, where was Moneymaker lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

He got lucky to knock out Ivey. Matter of fact if Ivey takes that hand he is probably favored to win it.

RollaJ
10-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Even before that hand Ivey was the favorite I believe

thomastem
10-27-2003, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even before that hand Ivey was the favorite I believe

[/ QUOTE ]

But at that stage going into that hand? Ivey wins that hand I believe he becomes new chip leader. Would Moneymaker have rebounded from that? I doubt it.

slavic
10-27-2003, 01:19 PM
You have ot get into position to get lucky sometimes. It takes skill for that. Robert v and Chis M may not be highly respected by the traditional pro's but for 3 or 4 days they were the best in the world and nobody can take that away.

ZManODS
10-27-2003, 02:10 PM

Wake up CALL
10-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Eugeenel of course! You don't believe me? Just ask him!

SamJack
10-27-2003, 04:52 PM
There are of course numerous legendary fishes. Consult your local PokerTracker Database.

Sam

Brian
10-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Very funny /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Brian

eugeneel
10-27-2003, 05:38 PM
well I'm not quite a legend. because I don't even compete at the highest stakes...
I'm just a young guy that pays for college can afford to spend a lot of money only because I play online poker which I think is still impressive.
You need to give me some more time to become a REAL legend.
My rakesplit deal is definitely legendry though!

Gotmilk
10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
I don't understand why everyone looks at this as the ultimate suckout. Ivey hit a two outer on the turn!! Then Moneymaker hit a 7 outer on the river...

Prickly Pete
10-27-2003, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My rakesplit deal is definitely legendry though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Quotes like this are earning you lots of respect in my book.

Malone Brown
10-27-2003, 06:14 PM
I had a chance to play with Eric123 in Aruba at the WPT event, he's a great player who supposedly took about $600 000 away from UB last year alone, he's certainly a legend on UB.

rusty JEDI
10-27-2003, 06:14 PM
I don't understand why everyone looks at this as the ultimate suckout. Ivey hit a two outer on the turn!! Then Moneymaker hit a 7 outer on the river...

I absolutely agree

thomastem
10-27-2003, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The big money was put in after Ivey had already hit his trips and was in the lead. I don't blame MoneyMaker for calling as there are a lot of lessor hands that he could have been facing. I'm not saying bad play by Moneymaker but he did get lucky.

thomastem
10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I absolutely agree

[/ QUOTE ]

All in was AFTER the turn. Again I don't think it was major, matter of fact if I'm Moneymaker I call, but he did get lucky on the River.

Now if Moneymaker had Pelicans attacking Helmuth I'd have a lot more respect for him.

HUSKER'66
10-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Anyone that has won the WSOP has had some luck.

thomastem
10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that has won the WSOP has had some luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. That can be said of any sizable tourney. The better players are in the money consistantls where the lucky ones hit it big in 1. 2 WSOPs in a row had lessor skilled players win. If Moneymaker plays with the better pros consistantly he goes broke.

That said kudos to Moneymaker for playing a strong tourney and close enough in skill level to the pros where a little luck put him over the top.

If it were me and I got the luck I would last 4 hours rather than 2 in this tourney.

Emperor
10-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Angelina Fekali and Izmet Fekali

They both have been playing on Paradise since it opened. They both used to post here WAY BACK in the day.

I once saw Izmet playind Abdul Jalib Heads Up. (Pretty Cool)

If you don't know who any of these people are just check the OLD archives for some GREAT POSTS.

Your Mom
10-30-2003, 03:09 AM
Ivy was lucky to make his hand on the turn if I remember correctly

hehateme
10-30-2003, 03:45 PM
the OnlineChamp

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Last I heard, the Chimp was broke, begging a buy-in and posting on RGP about how stupid poker was.

Gotmilk
10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The big money was put in after Ivey had already hit his trips and was in the lead. I don't blame MoneyMaker for calling as there are a lot of lessor hands that he could have been facing. I'm not saying bad play by Moneymaker but he did get lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly...Ivey called a pretty big bet on the flop and was not drawing to the nineboat. He thought his 99 was good. Ivey made a huge suckout, and then got resucked out on. I don't know many people who could lay down AQ on a board of QQ96.