PDA

View Full Version : How good is a game.

09-18-2001, 12:26 AM
Can you tell how good a given game is by the average pot size? If so, how many BB's on average make for a good game. I find that if the pot size is 6 BB's or bigger it's usually a pretty good game.

rob

09-18-2001, 01:45 AM
Merely counting the pot size is not necessarily an accurate measure of a good game. If the pots are big because one or two people are raising a lot both pre-flop and on the flop, it's a lot different than if the pots are big because lots of players are calling one bet pre-flop and one bet on the flop.

09-18-2001, 04:25 AM
Mike Caro had a great system for it. He said just do a count like this. For every call add one point. For every bet subtract one point. For every raise subtract two points. I might be making a bit of an error with this, but it went something like that. When you do that over three or four sessions you get a good idea of what a good score for a game is at that limit in that location. Only problem is it takes a bit of time to do, its not as easy as just glancing at the pot occasionally.

09-18-2001, 10:23 AM
"Good game" means different things to different people. To me the beatableness of a game is directly proportional to the number of players who routinely limp, and nothing else.

Tommy

09-18-2001, 12:24 PM
This is a different way, basically, of saying what I said, only, as usual, Tommy said it better and more succinctly.