PDA

View Full Version : was this last hand a mistake?

mosch
10-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Last night I played in my first non 2+2 multi-table limit hold'em tourney, a 400 person $30+3 at party.

I like the way I played, except for one hand, that really bugs me.

Final table, 8 players remain and I'm the short stack with 9000 chips. The blinds are 1500/3000. I get junk in the BB, and fold on the flop, leaving me with about 6000 chips. I get A3o in the SB, and get raised by the button, who has been stealing blinds. I re-raise all-in, the BB folds and the button calls. The board shows a bunch of junk, and the button turns over Kx, who caught a low pair with the kicker.

I can't help but think that given my situation, I should've held off and looked for a hand where both cards play in the next 7 hands, or simply to have hoped that somebody else busted themselves out in the meantime, moving me up one place in the prizes

Losing all
10-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Final table in your first money multi is Awesome! Short stack against a confirmed stealer you didn't have much choice. Second or third stack I'd fold and hope to at least move up a spot or get a better hand to go to war with.

Yeknom58
10-26-2003, 08:40 PM
How big is the next stack? If it's close I think you can fold and pray but if you are way behind I think your play is fine.

Stagemusic
10-27-2003, 09:37 AM
First of all...Great Job and a nice finish. On the hand in particular. You have to make a stand somewhere and you picked right then. Not a bad play and the chances of improving on an Ax in the next 6 hands is also something to think about. Congratulations on a great tourney. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trillig
10-27-2003, 12:08 PM
In that situation, yeah I wait for 88-AA or AT-AKo a few more hands...

Then Kx starts to look mighty good!

I wound up 16th in a 220 live tourney, unfortunately only paid 1st to 10th, with blinds of 700/1500 and 300 antes, I had K8s, 2 other people in: 2 of us ALL-IN, guy not all in... had A2s (my suite!!!) other guy 55 and 5 hit river with 2 clubs (our suite) blowing in the breeze, no ace on board either, if K or 8 hit, I'd have won and tripled up leaving me in good shape.
That was my FIRST live NL Hold'em tournament.
ALways one hand away from being deep-sixed, part of the RUSH! 8)

-t

mosch
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
The second stack was about 20,000 chips, so he could've waited for me to bust before trying anything, though 20,000 chips was only 3BBs at the time, so if he had gotten a hand, there would've been a decent chance that he would've landed all-in.

I think you guys made me feel better about my sketchy choice for a last stand, especially given that my hope was that the blind stealer would either fold, or have junk.

I have to say, the last hour or so of that tournament was probably the most fun I've ever had playing poker. I only entered it because after playing 20/40 (big game for me) earlier in the day, I really wanted another significant challenge, but without the bankroll risk that a big game entails. Now I'm the proud owner of Sklansky's tourney book, and I'm looking forward to adding a little bit of tournament play into the mix.