PDA

View Full Version : Position numbers

09-13-2001, 07:02 PM
Take a look at "Small Full House Hand" post by James T. on the Medium Stakes forum. He adopts the standard of seat 1= small blind, seat 2= big blind, seat 3= UTG, etc. I think it reads very clearly. What do we think?

09-13-2001, 07:05 PM
I'm glad someone like my ideas. ;-)

Actually I wasn't really in seat 2, but I just use that number because it's hard to describe position when there are multiple players in the hand...

09-13-2001, 07:41 PM
1. you must specify the number of players

2. many people are likely to confuse this with seat numbers

3. if playing in a game with a non-standard structure, you must specify the number of blinds and their positions. for example, a cardroom near me now uses the moving button rule, which often means the SB is on the button, and there are sometimes two big blinds.

4. I don't think this is a bad system, but I think it will probably not be easily accepted. However, if the proprietors of this establishment were to adopt this (or any other) system, I do believe that it would probably be generally accepted thereafter.

09-13-2001, 08:08 PM
I liked it because it was the same thing I proposed recently. :-)

It just seems to me that if there are, for example, 9 players in a game, it makes sense to refer to the player immediately to the left of the button as #1, the next as #2, etc.

These are position numbers, not seat numbers, which are different. The seat numbers don't really matter much in the discussion of hands except on rare occasions.

09-13-2001, 08:31 PM
Well, I may have missed your post regarding position numbers, but great minds think a like. ;-)

I used the term seat number, but it's actually 'position numbers'. I think it's easier to use 'position numbers' to keep track when there are multiple players in the hand. If it's only 2 or 3 players in the hand, then it's ok to say EP, MP, or LP...

09-14-2001, 02:38 PM
Andy,

I'm for numbering, but what about doing it backwards from the button? If you say "5" does that mean you're three off the button or have the button?

My notes go B 2 3 4 5 ... UTG BB SB.

Matt