PDA

View Full Version : more tipping stuff

09-09-2001, 11:45 PM
this is the wrong forum for this but the thread is huge and so im taking the bad liberty of continueing the thoughts.

how many would keep tipping taxi cab drivers after finding out that they get half the fare usually. not many i suspect or all of those that just tip naturally. suppose that dealers got half the rake would you still tip them. or do you believe they should be tipped out of custom or do you believe they should be tipped because they only get near minimum wage. if its out of custom so be it. if its because of minimum wage, then shouldnt you tip all people you come in contact with, that provide a service that get paid small wages.

no one mentioned that the dealer is providing not a service for you individually, but for the whole table equally(i hope). this is not comparable to tipping the waittress or servers as they do special tasks for you.

also the tipping when you win a pot is not for service, its for the dealer delivering the winning hand to you which he had no control over(i hope). so doesnt it follow that you should tip the good dealers after they leave the box regardless of your outcome with them if you plan on tipping. just me stirring the pot of thought.

09-10-2001, 03:26 AM
Ray,

I believe if you were to work four, 40 hour weeks dealing cards, the answer to all of your questions would be self evident. Dealing cards is more physically damaging than any job that I've held compensated by tips. I've been a Bartender and a Waiter, they're not even comparable. Count the number of dealers that have quit the profession due to physical injuries that you know of , and you'll know that I'm not fabricating this fact.

Before I was a dealer, and played most of the time, I figured out what constituted a fair wage that I was willing to pay for the services of a professional dealer. I came up with a simple method (for me) to pay that wage. I agree that I was (and still am) paying for the service rather than the results of that service. In the long run, it is easier for me (and evidently, most players) to pay that fee after having won a pot. This is one reason why I tip the same when I'm losing and always have.

My question is: Is this subject really important enough to discuss ad nauseum? I come here to discuss ideas conceived to let me compete with the best players in the world, not to figure out how to psychologically justify being a tight-wad.

09-10-2001, 01:47 PM
"Is this subject really important enough to discuss ad nauseum? I come here to discuss ideas conceived to let me compete with the best players in the world, not to figure out how to psychologically justify being a tight-wad. "

Ad nausem, perhaps not. However, it's a controversial subject, and such subjects usually bring about many opinions and much debate. Like John Feeney's AQ test. TONS of debate, huge threads, many spin-off threads, etc ad nauseum... And how many times do you REALLY have the opportunity to actually apply the strategies discussed in the AQo test? Tipping however, comes up on every hand in which you win a pot. And it does have an effect on your bottom line, though I feel this effect is not enough to swing you from winner to loser, unless you were already a borderline loser. And such discussions won't help you decide whether to reraise or fold on the turn. But tipping does influence the overall quality of poker games everywhere, so it does need to be discussed.

Tightwads who need psychological justification for their stiffing should find that they mostly meet resistance and unpleasant responses. Good for them, because I am a proponent of tipping.

Dave in Cali

09-10-2001, 04:29 PM
"tipping when you win a pot is not for service, its for the dealer delivering the winning hand to you which he had no control over"

I have no doubt that the practice of tipping for pots won contributes to dealer abuse because it reinforces the tendency of weak-minded players to scapegoat the dealer for their perceived bad luck. I have on occasion waited for a dealer to finish her round before tipping; I have also tipped when a dealer first sits down. However, I usually conform to the custom of tipping after winning a pot.

Mike

09-10-2001, 09:15 PM
i posted a thread on the beginners forum awhile ago about tipping. i still don't know how much to tip, or even if i should? in ac, i always tip good dealers a little more, i always stiff lousy dealers that give me no respect. i am a taxidriver by trade, i also stalk pimps, politicians, and do many pushups. i have a question? if i win a 1200$ pot in potlimit holdem, how much should i tip? i usually tip 10$? is this too much?

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-11-2001, 12:00 AM
I've read other posts from you where you stop short of telling us what your opinion is on tipping. Why not open up and tell us what you think? I have played with Mason and David, so I know a little about their tipping practices, but I've never played with you and I have no idea if you tip at all.

Unlike some of the other posters, I don't look down on the guy who doesn't tip. I think that it is not only his right, but maybe he's a little smarter than the rest of us. I don't have the guts to stop tipping at this point, but I think if I were starting over and I knew what I know now, I wouldn't tip.

Especially when playing lower limits, not tipping would make a huge difference in your hourly rate. Isn't taking home the money what it's all about?

09-11-2001, 12:02 AM
I would tip the same on a $1200 pot as I would on a $50 pot: $1.

$10 is way too much.

09-11-2001, 12:22 AM
Dave:

I absolutely concur with your comments to G. Ed regarding the significance of this discussion. Tipping is a very strategic concept when you consider how it can affect your hourly rate, especially in the lower limit games. This is one of many reasons the pundits advise the burgeoning player to try and move up in limits.

I respect your opinion regarding your stance on tightwads, however, I wouldn't go so far as saying there is an overwhelming distaste of tightwads among other players. Certainly, one would expect that dealer/players would unanamously agree, but I think there are a significant amount of regular grinders who really could care less what their peers tipping habits are. I actually salivate a bit over those that overtip, simply because I feel they are not "serious" about their game and winning. As far as the "tightwads" go, as long as they treat the dealers pleasantly, I have no axe to grind.

09-11-2001, 01:32 PM
i do tip but not enough in the eyes of most dealers.

09-12-2001, 08:49 AM
I am a San Francisco cab driver. We do not get 1/2 the fare here. every city is different. We pay a certain amount each shift for the cab. Then we must tip the dispatchers and cashiers at the company both when we leave and when we return. We pay our own gas. When the economy is good, it's good for us. When it's bad. it's really bad. Last nite the city was a ghost town. I took home 30 bucks. Thanks for the 15 bucks in tips I got folks!

09-12-2001, 11:05 PM
Do you tip out of custom, because you think the dealer deserves it, because you think he needs it, or for what other reason? Do you tip by the hand, or by the dollar amount won?

09-13-2001, 03:39 PM
As a member of the "pro" tipping faction, I think as long as you tip, this is fine. I know people who get 50 cent pieces to give as tips, this is fine too. I sometimes will get half dollars when I am playing in a very small game, such as if I play in a 1-5 stud game while waiting for another game.

09-13-2001, 07:11 PM
i dont tip.

i earn $15 an hour playing poker right now, so why in the world would i spend any amount of such a small sum on tipping? for those of you who make much more, or have day jobs, or whatever: great, do you what you want... i need to pay my rent.

if the dealers complain that they dont earn enough they should learn how to play poker decently and do that instead. most of them probably make more than me (when you count in their tips) anyways.