PDA

View Full Version : QQ Play

PlayerA
10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm in an UB 500 Ultimate Point SnG (yeah, yeah, what a weenie, I know). Blinds are 50/100. I have about T2000 and UTG has me covered (I don't remember exact amount). About 7 players remaining. UTG min raises to 200. I reraise to 600. Blinds fold. UTG calls. Pot is now 1350. Flop is AJ3 double suited. Checked to me. What should I do? Results later.

chesspain
10-24-2003, 03:15 PM
I'ld want to know:

1. The prize schedule
2. The average stack size

and most importantly,

3. Your read, if any, on what his min. raise might have meant. Also, remember that he called your raise, which was likely at least 10% of his stack. You need to quickly be able to assess what kinds of hands he could be playing this way UTG. My guesses:

1. Any suited or high-ace (in which case you're dead)
2. AA or KK, for a trap (in which case you're still dead)
3. A pocket pair, with his hoping that you're playing AQ or AK.

Given all of the above, both known and unknown, I would probably check and fold to any sizeable raise, since you still have chips to make a run for the finish. This might be a lesson for the importance of raising all-in when you have the third best starting hand, unless the possibility of busting out on this hand was intolerble to you.

PlayerA
10-24-2003, 03:22 PM
1. 1st - 50%; 2nd - 30%; 3rd - 20%
2. Average was about 1400.
3. His min. raise meant absolutely nothing since that was his bring-in if he was first in the pot. I don't recall exactly, but J9s is not an unlikely play this player (even in EP).

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
The only hands he checks into me on this flop that I fear are AJ or JJ. I think he bets AK, AQ or AT. AA or KK he puts me in preflop after my reraise. I get my chips in the middle here.

PlayerA
10-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Good points.

I made a terrible play. I bet about 600. I don't remember if he check-raised or called. I think he called and it was another brick, then he bet enough to put me in. I folded and he flashed his 55. I showed weakness and he acurately read it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Remember, you showed the most strength preflop. In all liklihood, the only A he'll check and not fold is top 2 pair. He'll bet any strong A at you and dare you to call w/AK. You come right at him with that A on the board and he's bound to lay down A9 or lower.

Also, reraise a little bigger preflop. 750 makes more sense.

PlayerA
10-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Actually, I don't that think that 750 is a good amount because it would have left me with 1250 and a 1650 pot. If the flop had been more to my liking with a flush or straight still possible, then I want my all-in to make the call be marginal. I picked an amount to reraise that left me with an amount I could use for defense if needed. Granted, he may have semi-bluffed in that case and his call of a raise would've been correct, but I didn't want to leave myself too short.