PDA

View Full Version : OK, Brad and z Vindicated, AKA HDPW Is Suspicious

HDPM
10-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Recently HDPW went to the bank. She had a major problem depositing a check. I now read that depositng "large" checks makes you suspicious under the PATRIOT Act and the gov't is mandating that banks sniff around. The teller was also an idiot, but put her through all kinds of hell to deposit the check. Needed all kinds of ID and management approval bla bla bla. Now, she should have gone across the street to another bank we do business with, but we still have done a reasonable amount of business at this bank. Anyway, after being thoroughly interrogated a jacked with, the bank was nice enough to accept a deposit. Granted the check was more than the average right to work state paycheck, but was far less than a z royalty check I am sure. So then HDPW asks for approx. 1/200th of the check back in cash and the whole show us your papers deal starts again. I love the PATRIOT Act.

Then HDPW is flying the new friendly skies brought to you by the TSA. They diligently seach her bag and leave a note saying they rummaged through everything. Of course, closing the bag would hurt airline security, so they didn't do that. Not too much private property was thereby lost.

HDPM...... thinking of becoming a vocal obnoxious libertarian nut case. But maybe I am that already.

Ray Zee
10-23-2003, 09:53 PM
after 911 the poll of so called average americans said they would gladly give up some liberties for more security. they got one of their wishes.

Utah
10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
You know that the Patriot Act is a disaster when writers at the National Review (very conservative publication) start beating up on it as being way to secretive, a violation of people's rights, and no checks on abuse.

An Ashcroft crony wrote a reply to the National Review's demand for answers. The reply would have been laughable if it were no so freakin scary.

You got to admit that Ashcroft is in a tough spot and there has got to be tremendous pressure on him. I guarantee you that if there is another major attack people will mercilessly hammer him for not doing enough.

brad
10-23-2003, 10:17 PM
wait until 1-2% of passengers are detained and not allowed to fly. from capps2 or something, a policy feds trying 2 implement, annd 1-2% is their estimate.

nicky g
10-24-2003, 07:12 AM
"Of course, closing the bag would hurt airline security, so they didn't do that. "

I noticed that when we were flying to the States in April. Went through a security check before checking in, the guy took everything out of a very big, carefully packed suitcase, put it all back in a haphazard manner that made the suitcase impossible to close, and then barked, "OK, you can close it up now." /images/graemlins/mad.gif!!!!

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
"Any man who would trade a portion of his liberty for a small measure of security deserves neither."

I don't know if it's exact, but the meaning's intact

adios
10-24-2003, 09:16 AM
When I deposited the $5000 check I posted about earlier at the bank this week the teller did to go talk to her supervisor. I deposited the entire amount and it wasn't a personal check from someone (from a brokerage). I didn't pick up on it then but perhaps this was in line with the Patriot Act. They didn't ask me for any ID. I did ask if there was a problem and she stated that she needed to get approval which I thought was rather odd at the time since I wasn't even taking any money out. Next time I'll find out if that's why they're doing it.