PDA

View Full Version : Change of strategy against maniacs?

crackzone
10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Guys!
This sunday i will try a home game for the first time with people i never played. The game is 2/4 no-limit, what i hear is that there are many maniacs and a lot of very aggressive players.
I think i can call myself a pretty good player... I played 10 30-50$ tournaments this week and won 6, came second twice and third twice. But how much does this count?
How do you adjust your play against this type of opposition... Is there another strategy that applies to these games? Play tighter? Even more aggressive? Even looser? Thanks guys!

ps. I believe i am better than most of them, should i even be afraid?

Al_Capone_Junior
10-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Play pretty tight, especially if you are playing at limits higher than your usual. (not sure what you usually play for ring games)

You need to not be afraid of the maniacs when you have a strong hand, especially if they are bullying the table. Don't forget to make them PAY to try and beat you. If the pot is small, it's not worth taking a huge risk over, so don't take a stand just to spite an aggressive player. However, when you have a hand, don't be afraid to make THAT your place to take a stand. Even maniacs will respect you if you put them in their place at the appropriate time. After all, it's no limit, not limit. In a limit game even the best players in the world will get no respect because the amount the maniacs can lose in a hand is limited.

al

1800GAMBLER
10-23-2003, 07:50 PM
You should be afraid, because the magnitude of your edge wont be equal to the magnitude of the variance of these games. If you are better you should be able to beat these games in the long run, that doesn't mean you wont get eaten up on this night though.

Either:

Buy the psychology of poker and take 3 buy ins.

Don't buy it and take 6 buy ins.

After a lot of sessions here you'll be happy you are going to the game, but if you lose what you can't stand on the first night then you aren't going to want to go back even though you should.

Play wise, Pyschology of Poker covers everything.

Jon Matthews
10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Tournament play counts but pushing in loses some of it's value in ring games. It's such an important play in tournaments that ring games take on a different edge. I've found it hard to switch from tournament mode to ring game mode before and it cost me a little at the time. Calling stations can survive much easier so they keep on doing it.

Good luck

Jon