PDA

View Full Version : How did he know?

09-03-2001, 10:43 AM
I make lots of plays that go directly against Daniel N's "flow" concept. I mean, lots.

There's a peculiar fringe benefit that shows up now and then. I don't know how often. I suspect it's more than I suspect.

Like when it's three way and I'm the preflop raiser and I'm in last seat. On the flop, or turn, I check behind with a board that just SCREAMS out for a bet. I don't do this a lot, but I think I do it more than most. Sometimes, they were planning to check raise. This is statistically inevitable. When I check behind, say, on the flop, and then the turn card comes, and the first player bets and the second one raises (and I of course fold), and one or the other shows a big hand, whether a showdown or a courtesy show, I can hear what they are thinking. How did he know to check?

Even if I had NO tells at all, they don't know that. To them, it's spooky, like, did I give something away? Does he have a tell on me?

Result? Well, I dunno. I think it makes me a scarier opponent. And that's got to be worth something.

Tommy

09-03-2001, 12:03 PM
I think it makes me a scarier opponent. And that's got to be worth something..

...on the flop, or turn, I check behind with a board that just SCREAMS out for a bet. I don't do this a lot, but I think I do it more than most.

Since when Tommy usually checks behind, the opponents normally have little, then won't they see your check is just a check?

Sredni ponders that if Tommy's opponents fear him it has other reasonings.

But finding order from chaos has its advantages.

Sredni Vashtar

says fear no evil

09-04-2001, 04:24 AM
When you check in the absence of tells, it seems statistically inevitable that your opponents will more frequently be grateful for the free card rather than disappointed they were not able to check-raise. Do you believe these plays usually sacrifice some immediate EV in order to increase your edge in future hands?

IMO, whether your unsuspected checks would or should engender fear in your opponents depends on the context. If you check the flop with weak hands in situations where a bet is apt to win the pot or buy a potentially helpful free river card, that does not seem scary. If you sometimes check strong hands on the flop to get a chance to raise on the turn, opponents would have more reason for fear.

09-04-2001, 09:35 AM
"Since when Tommy usually checks behind, the opponents normally have little, then won't they see your check is just a check?"

Tommy admits to walking a path of unknown. Sredni and Michael bypass the conjectured seed of fear. It comes not from the check itself, for the check is visible only through the most focused lens. Narrowly, each individual check is forfeited value. Tommy, like you, knows this.

A path of unknown. Fear of the unknown. Tommy checks himself into a known world, one the opponents rarely tread. When they hold a pair, they fear his mind and manner; 'Does he know I lay low?' 'Will he turn wicked on the turn?'

Still, the vision is tunneled.

When the turn too is checked and Tommy now bets, the momentum of conflict, having stalled on the flop, gives leverage to the thief, the pot less worthy.

When the barely callable pair checks the flop and now bets the turn, and Tommy smells the fear, his swift sword congeals into 16 chips, dashing hopes, and the enemy recoils.

Spots on rectangles distract. Tommy muses.

09-04-2001, 01:12 PM
Sredni's style is frigging contagious, isn't it?