PDA

View Full Version : Hand to Justify

09-02-2001, 12:50 AM
You call UTG with AKs, MP1 raises, LP1 2-bets, blinds fold, you call, MP1 calls; 3 take the 3-bet flop.

Flop is A83r. You check, MP1 bets, LP1 calls, and you call.

Turn is 3 making a 2-flush (not yours). You check, MP1 bets, LP1 calls, you raise, they call. Still 3 of you.

River is 6r [A83-3-6]. You bet, they call.

Under what game conditions would this line of play be correct? Under what conditions would it be incorrect?

- Louie

09-02-2001, 05:18 AM
MP1 and especially LP1 need to be aggressive. You need to have the assurance that the flop and fourth streets will get bet. Against most opponents, the flop will get bet. However, many opponents will not follow through with a bet on fourth unless they have an ace. It takes a very aggressive player to continue to bet a pair lower than aces on fourth in this sequence.

Against most opponents I would check-call on the flop and then lead at them on the turn. Players will call with a lot more hands than they will bet with themselves especially on the expensive streets.

09-02-2001, 07:09 AM
Sounds like 5-handed 15-30.

Correct when your opponents are tight yet tenacious after the turn. Incorrect when they're more loose or more aggressive earlier.

09-02-2001, 02:53 PM
"Sounds like 5-handed 15-30"

wow excellent observation. i wasnt even thinking about shorthanded, i was just imagining a full table and thinking "why would i ever limp UTG with AKs and then try and trap?" in the games i play in the players are so loose for one bet that you pretty much never want to slowplay a premium preflop holding -- or maybe im just playing too scared??

shorthanded definitely seems right to me.

09-04-2001, 11:31 AM
Well, I thought I'd get more resonses. Anyway, the actual reality was this:

At the time, I had adopted a strategy of often NOT raising early in a full game; part of an over-all "defensive" strategy when early. I refined that crude strategy later. Anyway, I called. MP1 was a typical grind-it-out "pro" type, disciplined, straight forward, and not too tricky. His raise represented a good hand; probably a few more than group 2. LP1 was a typical ameture, out for ego-gratification excitement. His 3-bet represented a much worse hand than MP1. I called. EP1 called and would have 4-bet with a big pair, thus he had a big Ace.

Flop included an Ace. I probably should have bet figuring MP1 would raise and drive out LP1, but decided to stick with the deception. MP1 bet (no surprise), and LP1 called and didn't like it, and I called, hehehe. I checked raised the turn since MP1 probably would NOT bet his AQ on the end. LP1 paying it off surprised me, so I concluded he has a weak Ace.

I guess the key here was the predictable play of MP1.

No, I don't think you should EVER flat call with a premium hand short-handed: you need to protect your weaker raises (say with KJ or 77) with premium raises.

- Louie