PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this?

MaxPower
10-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Party Poker 5/10 (9 handed)

I have K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the CO
MP3 here is extremely solid - tight and aggressive.

All fold to MP2 who calls, MP3 calls, I raise, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls

Flop(8.4 SB): K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 bets, I raise, BB folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls

Turn(6.2 BB): J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP3 checks, I bet, MP3 raises, I call

River(10.2 BB): 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP3 bets, I call

Comments?

One more post and I become an addict.

BigEndian
10-23-2003, 12:30 AM
I might lay this down if I knew the player well enough. He's screaming "I have KJ!" in your ear. Or he smooth called AA or JJ I guess. But if I don't really know the player well, I'm calling this down just like you did.

- Groove

Robk
10-23-2003, 01:01 AM
If he's solid then you can fold on the turn IMO. What hands would he play preflop that he could have to checkraise the turn? 44, 22, KJs... maybe a few others but his range has you crushed. Your hand reading skills need work if you are paying this guy off. There was a thread awhile ago that was similar... here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=356252&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=1&vc=1)

KeyserSoze
10-23-2003, 02:07 AM
This is a pretty weak call down after the turn check raise. There's no draw for him to be semibluffing with, you'll be drawing to 3 or 0 outs just about every time against a good player.

Clarkmeister
10-23-2003, 02:16 AM
I'd just call on the flop. With that board texture, there's no reason to try and drive anyone out.

GuyOnTilt
10-23-2003, 03:04 AM
You played your hand very straight-forward, which is fine. You played solid +EV ABC poker here. However, since the board has no flush draws, no straight draws, and no playable card besides the King, I would've waited till the turn or river to raise. You opponent obviously doesn't have you outkicked since you describe him as a tight/aggressive opponent, so you have him beat with very little chance of being outdrawn here by him or any of your other opponents.

Given all of the above, I'd flat call the flop bet. If a flush draw card, or a gutshot straight card comes on the turn, I'll raise it there. If a blank falls or the board pairs low, I'll wait till the river to raise. If MP is betting a medium pocket pair, he'll probably fold it to a flop or turn raise, so let him stay in as long as possible. If he has a weaker King, then you make your raise on the expensive street and pick up an extra half of a big bet.

Not to say that the way you played it was wrong. But I would've waited till a later street to indicate my strength. I'm just a sneak bastard like that. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, congrats on your new-found addiction!

MaxPower
10-23-2003, 02:30 PM
I actually had an excellent read here. The way he played pre-flop and on the flop indicated that his most likely holding were KQ or KJ.

When the Jack fell on the turn, I knew I was in trouble and could only win half the pot at best. I considered taking a free card, but the voice in my head said, "Don't give a free card"

When I was check-raised, I knew it was over. He wouldn't check-raise KQ because my hand looks like AK. Yet I couldn't stop myself from calling it down.

Why did I play this way when I was sure he had two pair or better?

I have a hard time deciding what to do, because while I am quite sure of my read, the pot is relatively large, I am getting about 5-1 effective odds to call it down, and I'm trying not to see "monsters under the bed". I'm not sure how to reconcile all this.

If I'm not prepared to lay down to a check-raise, should I check behind and call one bet on the river?

I think the combination of running bad and the crazy Party games are starting to get to me.

Yes, he had KJ