PDA

View Full Version : laying down aces on the river for a single bet?

theriverwild
10-22-2003, 11:30 PM
I get black AA in early pos and am getting no action with my raises so i just limp in UTG plus 2. Guy to left raises and 4 cold call. This is extremely unusual for 15 30 usually heads up. I figure hell i'll rr so 6 of us see the flop for 3 bets each. flop comes 3 5 k 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I bet out and am raised by a rock. I call and 2 others fold. Turn is the 4th spade i usually bet with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif but i'm worried abou the rock and the flush already out there. Rock bets and 2 cold callers, i call. River pairs the board kings. I check rock bets and 2 cold callers, i know my aces r beaten and muck even though the pot is pretty big by now. Comments? Results below

the rock flopped a set while someone else had the flush. The rock took it down with 5's full of kings

LondonBroil
10-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Im assuming the flop was 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 4th /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the turn, and a K on the river.

No one showed agression during the entire hand and your scared of a full house? I doubt the pre-flop raiser has KK.

Yeknom58
10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure but is the final board showing 3 spades or 4 spades. Was the rock the pre flop raiser?

Anyway I would definitely call this one down.

I think your bigger mistake was pre-flop. If your raises are getting too much respect start raising with 7-2o don't limp with your aces. Also by 3-betting preflop you now give all those limpers/cold callers the proper odds to chase on the flop-river. You want to get your opponent to make a mistake and calling bets with the proper odds isn't a mistake.

OrangeHeat
10-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Meh... the way you played it, the kings pairing, and the two cold callers I would probablly lay this down too - actually in the heat of battle i would call but maybe im clouded by seeing the results.

However, I would be more inclined to bet the turn and fold to a raise. You'll make more money in the long run betting the fourth suited card.

ajizzle
10-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Good analysis of the situation on 4th street. I would have done the same thing. The only reason I would even stay in to the river is the outside chance that I make the nut flush.

Something that newbies find hard to do is get away from pocket rockets. THey think that A's are unbeatable, when in actuality, which 6 people in on the flop, you are only about 50% to win the hand. The sign of someone maturing in hold em is usually when they can lay down A's.

theriverwild
10-23-2003, 08:29 PM
no the flop had 2 spades and the turn put the 3rd spade on the board. the river paired the board kings. I figured the rock had flopped a set of 5's or something i was right. someone else had a king and another guy had the flush. My aces up was the worst hand

theriverwild
10-23-2003, 08:32 PM
u can't bet and fold to a raise on the turn because u have black aces giving u the nut draw. final board showed K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif

theriverwild
10-23-2003, 08:34 PM
If i didn't rr preflop after i limped there would still be 12 sb's in the pot. Everyone was already getting odds to call me down all they way with just about anything. I was just raising for value.