PDA

View Full Version : bottom set facing a check raise

joeg
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi, this is the first post asking for advice on a play, so far I'm reasonably successfull at extreemly low no-limit games but here was a hand I was uncertain about as the player I was in the hand was actually quite good and I'm used to playing with very weak players, the game is 0.05c-0.1c no limit holdem.

I was in middle position with a pair of tens and about $10 in front of me, and open limp for 0.1c 2 callers and the two blinds see the flop AJT suits not important, it is checked around to me so I bet 0.80c into a pot of 0.50c, the small blind ($30) raises $2, I moved all in for an extra $8 and he had the straight.

Normaly I play this way and sometimes I lose but more often I'm against a pair or a draw as there are some really weak players at this level. The problem with this hand was the guy wasnt a idiot and in the 2.5 hours I was at the table I didnt really spot any mistakes from him, I think for him to call in this spot he would either want the straight, trips or 2 pair. For him to check raise me in this way though all he would have needed is top pair with a inside straight draw or better, i.e. AK or AQ, how should I play bottom set against a check raise from a player like this with a board where you dont want to lose initiative or give cheap cards but also have to be aware of strong hands existing allready?

crockpot
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
there isn't much you can do about this particular hand. unless he has a bigger set, you have a reasonable chance to outdraw him anyway, and you have a good chance of being ahead, so you may as well get the money in.

however, when someone waits until the pot gets big to make a big play, he is likely to have more than one pair. i would expect to see my opponent turn over something like AJ or AT on this action. in other words, if you held AK here, you should fold to his raise unless the money was deeper or he plays unusually.