PDA

View Full Version : Question about a draw...

CMP
10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Sorry for the vagueness of this...

Heads up on 5th street with an open-ended straight draw and only 1 needed card dead. My opponent showed 3 to a flush, but I had him on a big pair, not a flush or 4-flush draw.

I called his bets on 5th and 6th, made my straight on the river, he checked and I bet.

He just called and my hand was good.

Insane play?

I know a lot "depends," but I had a read which turned out to be right and I made my hand too.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

MP

Andy B
10-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Some things you might want to include next time: the limit, ante structure, the size of the pot, something about the action thus far, etc. Do you have a pair or perhaps an overcard to opponent's probable pair?

I am of the opinion that most players would be better off if they never played straight draws. They can be profitable in the right spots, but most folks stay with them way too long.

The fact that your opponent has a big pair in no way precludes him from having a flush draw as well. If his big pair is of his door card, he will have a four-flush a little less than 25% of the time, depending on what all has shown. If his big pair is in the hole, he'll have the four-flush a little less than 50% of the time. Can he also have two pair or even a set? That would make it less likely that your straight will hold up even if it gets there.

I am very much in the habit of calling open four-flushes with two pair, and I believe that this is a profitable call overall. In your case, though, you haven't even made your hand. Say you make your straight and he catches a fourth flush card on sixth street--how are you going to like your hand then?

On fifth street, I'd probably play on if there was some decent money in the pot, but I wouldn't really like it that much.

MRBAA
10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
I think your play is fine -- it's not a big money maker in the long run, but if you're confident of your read I think I play it just the way you did.

Ray Zee
10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
in general you will be about even money to win in the showdown, which you will go to if you hit. you may gain some betting extras because you act last and he will not know you hit your straight when it comes in. this hand here is a money maker overall especially since there is some in the pot already.

patrick dicaprio
10-23-2003, 06:58 AM
one thing you shoudl let us know is how big the cards were on the board and why you were sure he didnt have a fourflush. if you were sure then you should call, but this is a marginal play in a lower limit game with a small ante.

Pat