PDA

View Full Version : Legality of a poker club

dm34
10-22-2003, 12:32 PM
I am thinking about starting a poker club at my college in DC. If 10 of us wanted to sit around and play a 5 dollar buy in tourney, is that technically legal (mostly under 21).

Mike Gallo
10-22-2003, 12:52 PM
I am thinking about starting a poker club at my college in DC. If 10 of us wanted to sit around and play a 5 dollar buy in tourney, is that technically legal (mostly under 21).

It is as long as you dont get caught /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dm34
10-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Even if there is no rake, we can't do it?

CrackerZack
10-22-2003, 02:28 PM
If there is no rake, it probably isn't legal, but you won't run into a problem. If you were playing a 1000 buy-in with no rake, you could be a bit at risk. For low stakes, I wouldn't worry about it.

dm34
10-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Ok, cool. When I ask the school for club approval though, I guess I'll jsut leave out the part about playing for money (although i would have done that even if it was legal).

CrackerZack
10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
If your school has a law program, ask one of the professors about the legalities. If its illegal its probably due to some old antiquated law. As for telling the school its for real money, I'd probably leave that out anyway and they usually error on the side of caution when approving school clubs.

On a side note... someone posted something earlier where it said "air on the side of caution", and I'm not sure why that entertains me so.

Aces McGee
10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
what school?

HUSKER'66
10-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Since your going to school in DC call up Supreme Court Judges Rehnquist or Scalia. They have a weekly game that has been going on for years. /images/graemlins/grin.gifThey could probably cover all your questions about the legality of home games played with real money......I doubt they play for "fun".

Ted Geisel
10-22-2003, 05:44 PM
... if you attend Georgetown or Catholic, it is legal, but a mortal sin.

GuyOnTilt
10-22-2003, 11:46 PM
...they usually error on the side of caution when approving school clubs.

On a side note... someone posted something earlier where it said "air on the side of caution", and I'm not sure why that entertains me so.

Don't get too big of a head here. The expression is actually "err on the side of caution", so you're no better.

CrackerZack
10-23-2003, 09:58 AM
I've entertained myself by screwing it up!

Now that is some funny poop.

CrackerZack
10-23-2003, 10:21 AM
BTW, I didn't mean to seem all high and mighty and after re-reading, I understand how it could come off that way. I just find things like this incredibly amusing and think it shows how difficult the english language really is. We're all guilty... for years I though the term "All intents and purposes" was "all intensive purposes" and I think I was in college before I realize the word "specific" wasn't "pacific" even though I always understood what someone was saying when they used "specific"... I just assumed it was one of those double meaning words.

On a side, but related note, a co-worker of mine who has only been in this country for about 8 years but has learned perfect english asked me where the term "Pass the buck" came from. He (and I) understand what it means, but I have no clue where it originated. Any help?

HUSKER'66
10-23-2003, 11:23 AM
The phrase "pass the buck" is steep in poker history. With poker starting it's humble beginings on the banks of the Mississippi, and moving out west, players used their knives to mark who the dealer was. Many frontierman used a common knife of the day-the "Buc" knife. This was substituted with a dollar gold coin, an item later christened a "buck". The phrase, "pass the buck" later became common in everyday language as well as in the game of poker. President Truman (quite the poker player apparently-game of choice: Pot limit)had a plaque made for his desk in the oval office with the words,"the buck stops here" in tribute to his poker attitude and way of thinking.

There's a little poker trivia for ya........ /images/graemlins/smirk.gif