PDA

View Full Version : I flopped the nuts, hope I get some action.

rtucker5
10-22-2003, 11:19 AM
The home game got short handed as it got later last night and I eventually found myself heads up with a fairly passive opponent. I was in the BB and checked my option with a 96 off. The flop came a beautiful 8 7 5. There were 2 spades and I had none, but I felt pretty good about my chances. I checked and called. The turn was an offsuit 2. I checkraised, 4 bet, 6 bet, 8 bet, and called the 9th bet. The river paired the 8 and it went check check. Comments/thoughts on all streets appreciated.

Lazymeatball
10-22-2003, 12:29 PM
why would you only call on the turn with the nuts? I don't understand why you wouldn't keep raising until somebody was all in.

rtucker5
10-22-2003, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would you only call on the turn with the nuts? I don't understand why you wouldn't keep raising until somebody was all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once we went that many bets it looked like we had the same hand. I had no spades, so 96 of spades was a definite possibility for him. Why put 50 bets in if he is freerolling?

stripsqueez
10-22-2003, 12:45 PM
"Why put 50 bets in if he is freerolling?"

sure, but 9 is a lot less than 50

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Lazymeatball
10-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Okay, that sems like one reasonable estimate, but how do you put him on 96s. Because he is a fairly passive player? Is he the kind of player that would occassionally even play 96s in a shorthanded game?

Is this a case of being afraid of monsters under the bed? What other hands would this player do this with? Set maybe? Lower straight? Overpair? I've had players go back and forth with me a few times when I figured we both have the nuts, only to find he has second nut straight.

Snoman
10-24-2003, 04:08 AM
9 bets is a lot. It certainly looks like you both have the nut straight on the turn. Now you have neither the 6 or 9 of spades in your hand, it seems likely that your opponent could very well have the 69s or at least one of them to negate the possibilty that you have the re-draw (in fact it goes up a great deal with each bet). Your opponent obviously likes his hand so what's wrong with caling the ninth bet and if the river is safe, putting the rest in (while keeping the bets neatly stacked so as to make it easier to chop). If the flush comes you can just call, if the board pairs and your oponenet could possibly have a set on the turn then just call, otherwise raise to your hearts content. In fact I couldn't fault just calling before the ninth bet and looking at the river. Of course, I once saw a guy raise to the felt with broadway when the backdoor flush got there because "I was just messing around because I thought we were chopping." Basically, who puts in nine bets without the nuts? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

rtucker5
10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Lazy-

This player is fairly aggressive when he thinks he has the best hand, but there is no way he goes more than 4 or 5 bets without the nuts. When he put in the 9th bet I was 99% sure we were chopping. I don't usually see monsters under the bed, but when it gets to be that many bets I'm sure we had the same thing. I planned on betting out on the river if I still had the nuts and putting in my whole stack.

rtucker5
10-24-2003, 01:49 PM
After I checked to him on the river, he said "I better check, you might have had a set. I have the nut straight." I said chop it up and turned my hand over. He turned his hand over and it was the 6 4 of spades. He misread the board and thought he had the nut straight with a redraw. As it turned out, he had a smaller straight with a flush draw.