PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pairs v Scary boards

Nate tha' Great
10-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Two Party Poker hands. Would you have played them the same way?

Numero Uno. Party Poker 3/6 (9 handed)
Hero has J /images/graemlins/heart.gif , J /images/graemlins/club.gif and is Button

UTG calls, EP1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero raises, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls

Flop(9.33 SB): A /images/graemlins/club.gif, T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[Checked to] Hero [who] bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls

Turn(6.67 BB): 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[Checked to Hero who] bets, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 calls

River(8.67 BB): 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP3 checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls

Numero Dos. Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed) (same table)
Hero has T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP1

[Folded to] Hero [who] raises, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(6.33 SB): 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, Hero raises, CO calls, BB folds

Turn(5.67 BB): 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero bets, CO folds

BigEndian
10-22-2003, 11:02 AM
That's the way they should be played imo. You probably lost to a weak A on the first hand, but I think you should bet the river even if you saw his cards and knew it to be a fact.

- Groove

lil'
10-22-2003, 11:07 AM
You probably lost to a weak A on the first hand, but I think you should bet the river even if you saw his cards and knew it to be a fact.

Uhhh........

Festus22
10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm sure I'll invoke "big pairs" ire but why did you raise in hand 1? 3 or 4 limpers is just about the worst case for pocket J's. As I've mentioned in other posts, page 25 of HEPFAP specifically addresses this hand. Why does everyone feel this passage is incorrect?

Hand 2 - Looks good to me.

Nate tha' Great
10-22-2003, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure I'll invoke "big pairs" ire but why did you raise in hand 1? 3 or 4 limpers is just about the worst case for pocket J's. As I've mentioned in other posts, page 25 of HEPFAP specifically addresses this hand. Why does everyone feel this passage is incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what, that passage of HEFAP actually crossed my mind when I was playing the hand. I'm not kidding. I decided to raise anyway.

Reasons why I decided to raise:

1. I had done well at this particular table -- loose but rather passive -- by showing aggression, and wanted to be in a position to take control of a larger percentage of boards with my jacks in case I *didn't* flop a set.

2. I'm not particularly convinced by that passage of HEFAP anyway.

JJ wins against three opponents 61% of the time.
Against four opponents 49% of the time.
Against five opponents 40% of the time.

I realize that this is a gross oversimplification, but I don't see why it isn't in my best interest to increase my win rate by 20%, while at the same time putting money into a pot that I have equity in.