PDA

View Full Version : limp-reraising in O8?

turnipmonster
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
hey everyone,
I am a very inexperienced omaha-8 player, but I have been practicing with wilson's turbo O8 to try and sharpen my skills.

The biggest thing I have noticed is the advisor is very fond of limp/call-reraising, especially preflop. This seems to be one of the most powerful plays in omaha, whereas in hold'em it's not nearly as important.

So I was thinking it would be interesting to have a discussion about what hands/spots everyone likes a limp-reraise as opposed to an outright raise in.

would any more experienced players like to post thoughts on the subject?

--turnipmonster

tiltboy
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
The advisor generally recommends limping with many good hands (AA2xs for example) in early position or if in middle position with only one limper but reraising if raised behind. I think this tactic is dependent on game conditions personally but I have used it and it can be very effective. Not only does it build a big pot when you have the best of it but it also often tends to tie several hands donating dead money to the pot. You just have to be willing to release if the flop totally misses you and there is signifigant action, IMO.

iblucky4u2
10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
The only time I consider a limp/reraise is from early position when I know there are loose/aggressive players behind. Since most low limit O/8 games tend to be loose/passive, I normally raise in any position with a raising hand and save the fancy plays for very specific games with very specific opponents. As for the types of hands I will limp/reraise with, I will vary them - sometimes with the normal low hands (AA2s or 3s, A23s) but often will reraise with high hands - especiall with suited Aces with high cards (AKQJ, AKKQ) and lots of opponents. One of my favorite limp/reraise hands is A2s or A3s with a high pair! These have great potential to scoop either high or with the always fabulous "Nut-Nut!"

One thing that computer programs will not point out is that when you do raise/cap or limp/reraise it will create large swings in your bankroll. If you do not have the mindset to handle those swings, only raise or reraise with the few premium hands. The problem with that is everyone at the table will know what you have, so you might be better off just playing straight until you get a better feel for the game.

chaos
10-23-2003, 08:26 AM
In a typical low-limit game, if I have a raising hand in early position I'll limp and if it gets raised, I'll sometimes reraise. I do not raise from early position because I want players to come in and pay me off, I do not want to limit the field. But I find once players put a bet in they usually will put in two more just as easily as one more. With a big pot many players get tied to their hands and decide to chase.