PDA

View Full Version : Never fold a stragiht

jstnrgrs
10-22-2003, 01:35 AM
party 1/2
I'm dealt Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif in CO
1 EP limper and an MP poster to me, I call, folded to BB who checks.
FLOP: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Ichecked to me, I bet, everyone calls
TURN: 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
BB checks, EP bets, MP calls, I raise, BB 3-bet, EP calls, MP folds, (I seriously consider folding here but) I call
RIVER: 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB bets, EP calls, I call.

BB shows: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
MP (who posted) shows: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
so I took the pot.

I didn't think anyone without a flush would 3-bet this, so I was very supprised to see the chips come my way. I wonder if it is always worth it to call dwon with a straight. I've had a few similar hands, and calling down has proven to be profitable even if only one card is needed to beat me. (though the sample size is very small)

As always comments on my play are appreciated, but I'd also appreciate comments on my thoughts on calling down with straights.

SoCalPat
10-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Without seriously crazy action on the turn and/or river, you would have to be a stone cold fool to lay this down, much less consider it, for one bet on the turn -- three-flush board be damned.

You'd have to get a much scarier board than this (a fourth club, a paired board) to even consider folding a flopped nut straight for one bet or less on all streets.

You're playing Party 1/2. Not exactly the cream of the poker-playing world crop. If you were up against decent competition, I'd expect them to check-raise the flop and see the river for free.

Quit having a weak-tight mindset /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lil'
10-22-2003, 08:51 AM
Raise pre-flop.

I wouldn't fold a straight in your spot either.

Guido
10-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Raise preflop, rest was fine IMO. I wouldn't fold on the turn either.

Guido