PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with random all-ins post-flop?

Fistdantilus
10-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Hey all.

Quick intro: I'm a solid low limit player at my card room that loves Lee Jones' book and is able to make a small profit at the game (i've read the wonderful 2+2 stuff as well). Recently I switched to playing NL online.

My place of choice: $25 Party. There's the "random" part.

The problem is this: I get TPTK on the flop in early position with a pretty uncoordinated board, and bet the pot. Since it's Party, I'll (almost) always have some followers. Their play is so random (all-in preflop on K5o,etc), sometimes the only notes i can put by their names are "IDIOT", "freak", plus "loose as a goose, and twice as wild".

When I was newer to NL, I called them down as was my tendency from limit games... and took far more than my share of chips away from them. Now I have matured a bit to not get married to hands, I have (fairly consistently) laid down TPTK against these weiners and find my bankroll plummeting and their behavior increasing.

The real question: when the all-in person could have ANYTHING no matter the betting, do you call their all-in on the river? Obviously not a lot of details, but imagine a semi-uncoordinated board (no flush, only 74 could make a straight, etc).

One solution I'm doing right now: playing PL.

Fistdantilus

Al_Capone_Junior
10-22-2003, 12:36 AM
If you have the best hand, or think you have the best hand, you need to put THEM to a decision long before they have the chance to put you to a decision. For instance, against such players...

You have KQ and flop top pair. The pot has $3 in it. You know the two players in the pot have "idiot" for their notes. You bet $6 on the flop. If they call and a useless rag comes on the turn, bet the pot, or more than the pot. I suspect you aren't forcing them to put the money in early, and leaving them with enough chips on the river so they can successfully bluff you more often than you are comfortable with. Make THEM face the big bets when you are reasonably sure you're ahead, not after the turn and river, when you're going to have more doubt.

al