PDA

View Full Version : K-K hand... relocated

08-27-2001, 01:55 PM
per D.S.

I get KK in mid/late position, 3 limp, I raise, sb, bb, and limpers call. suits irrelevant in this one.

FLOP:

A-Q-T

checked to me, now what?

i check, figuring either im ahead, or drawing nearly dead, and with 5 loose/passive opponents i dont figure to take it down here. also, any mediocre ace will just check/call to the river.

TURN:

A-Q-T--x

checked to player on my right, he bets, i raise, all others fold, he calls. comments?

I raise here for 2 reasons... one, this guy is capable of running a bluff (i want to take it down now!)and also because I am sure *he* would have bet any ace on the flop, and usually will bet 2nd pair when flop is checked around.

08-27-2001, 02:28 PM
On the flop, I like your check. With this many opponents someone rates to have an ace. The fact that they checked to you means nothing. They were merely "checking to the raiser" and fearful that a board with all three flop cards in the playing zone helped a preflop raiser more than them. Your reasoning here was quite good.

Your raise on the turn is right based on your assessment of the bettor. There are some players who indeed play this way. That is, they would always bet top pair on the flop and they would always try to pick up the pot with a bet on the turn once the flop gets checked around. Excellent play and a good example of doing something unorthodox based on knowing your particular opponent.

08-28-2001, 01:20 PM
The gutshot outs would lead me to favor betting the flop against my mostly loose-passive opponents. I would usually accept a free card on the turn if the remaining opponents again check to me.

I like your turn raise in the context of your play and your read on the bettor.

08-29-2001, 03:34 PM
I like the play on the turn. I like your reasoning, and the fact that you know how this opponent plays. therefore, you are probably ahead. If he bets the river, I would call. If he checks, I would bet, expecting there to be a good chance of him calling with a queen.

I don't have any problem with your flop play either. You had reasons for what you did, which is always a good sign, even if you sometimes get it wrong. At least you were thinking about what you were doing.

Dave in Cali