PDA

View Full Version : Caught with my pants down

bobgreen
10-21-2003, 08:51 PM
I raised first-in from the cut-off with 87-suited. The big-blind was a good player but a little tight and respectful of my raises. The big-blind rarely defended, even from a steal position raise. Button and sb fold, bb calls!

I'm sunk. He's got a medium pair or very good high cards.

The flop is 994. We both check.

The turn is (6)994. He checks. I'm thinking, "He can't have a pair or AK or AQ; he must have AJ or KQ. He's tight; he'll fear that I have AJ or better; I'll bet my open ender and take it right here." I bet.
He check raises!

I'm sunk. I'm thinking, "He can't have a 9, maybe A9s?, did he fill up with pocket sixes? I'm not getting any price against this tighty, I need to fold". I call.

The river is (T)6994. He bets. I raise with my straight. He reraises.

I'm sunk. I'm thinking, "He's got pocket sixes or somehow T9 suited. He's not afraid of the straight; he has a full house; I need to fold". I call.

The tight guy who rarely defends his blind, the good player who respects my raises, turns up 93 off-suit. Trip nines, NO KICKER. WTF?

He was born in the same country as the tight guy, but it wasn't him. I sure felt ridiculous as I dragged all them chips. Now its true I made those calls against my read. I hope I've improved since then, but what I really hope to learn from you savvy gents is--How do you tell the players apart?

For a while I kept a book of significant tendancies. But when I reviewed my notes, I couldn't figure out which 'middle aged balding white guy with glasses' liked to bluff check raise. Or which 'older Asian woman with lots of jewelry' only bet when she had the goods. During a session I'm fair at reading their styles, but when I see them a week later, I can't connect their face to a style of play. How do you recognize certain players? How do you describe them physically in your notes (or memory)?

Many thanks, Bob

RollaJ
10-22-2003, 08:49 AM
I usually drug them and put a tag in heir left ear, notice all the weird earings people seem to be wearing at the Taj

Philuva
10-22-2003, 01:21 PM
It's strange because in-person I have no problem figuring most people out within 20-30 minutes. Also, I can usually remember these people for long periods of time. I go to Vegas 2 or 3 times a year and have no problem remembering most of those players.

But online, I have the hardest time getting reads on people. Even though you can keep notes on the player. I think it has to do with playing 2 tables at a time, but still, I have a hard time placing a screen name against someone's actions. It is easier for me to see if they are a TA kid, or WT old guy, etc.

I know this doesn't help you, but just thought I would share my thoughts.