PDA

View Full Version : Some Thanks & FYI on TV Show

08-25-2001, 09:51 PM
Been a while since I posted and the first thing I wanted to do is say thanks to Backdoor and some others who responded to some of my posts in the past.

Since that time, I've had some time to study, reflect and get in a few more playing sessions. That said, I'm convinced that the points these people gave were correct. They were right and I was wrong, and so I'm hoping I'm becoming a better player for it. That's one of the reasons I came to this site in the first place. So thanks again.

That said, I wanted to forward a note about a TV show advertisement that I saw tonight. The 2-part show is entitled "The Human Face" and will air on The Learning Channel (TLC) on this coming Sunday and Monday at 9pm (eastern time, not sure about other time zones).

Hard to tell from the ads whether or not it may directly applicable to our study of poker. But it is supposed to be about what our facial expressions tell about us. My feeling is that it could be a free "poker" lesson and should be worth taking the time to watch. John Cleese is the host, so it should at least be entertaining.

08-26-2001, 05:15 AM
Since that time, I've had some time to study, reflect and get in a few more playing sessions. That said, I'm convinced that the points these people gave were correct.

Don't worry too much. One of my favorite posters here, Rickster Nebiolo, has some old posts here that would make the hair on the back of you neck stand up. I have some too (but let's not discuss that). :)

Hard to tell from the ads whether or not it may directly applicable to our study of poker.

Pretty much everything has to do with poker. If you doubt this, just read some of Tommy's freaky posts where somehow a peacock's mating practices are poker related. (Some of my posts are like that too- lets not talk about that).

Regards.

08-26-2001, 06:42 AM
I really should get cable.

Backdoor, "Pretty much everything has to do with poker. If you doubt this, just read some of Tommy's freaky posts where somehow a peacock's mating practices are poker related."

Mating practices? Well, I suppose that always pertains to poker in that we do get boinked at the table now and then.

The peacock-tail mention, along with the peahen's liking of them, was under the topic of winning streaks and losing streaks as I recall. It's another of the millions of physical features in the animal world that results from positive-feedback mate-preference selection, such as, human peepees and boobies. We have the biggest on earth, in terms of organ-mass/body-mass, by the same process that brought us peacock tails.

The study of face-recognition has come a long way. We've always known we're very good at it. Now we're learning exactly why we are, and how we got this way. And why famous people show up so often in rocks and shadows and cloth-stains.

The study of facial-expressions; the sending and receiving of signals, voluntarily, involuntarily, the whole deal, explains why we have so many facial muscles. Natural selection favored improved communication ability in this area before, and faster than, the selection that gradually enhanced our sound-making ability by reshaping the throat.

(Interesting to note that our unique throat arrangement is what allows us to choke to death. (Put our voice box in another mammal and they wouldn't have our vocal range. They'd need our air-flow arrangement as well.) This means that the selection pressure that gradually enhanced our ability to speak was greater than the reverse pressure to keep our throat pipes more seperated. (Facial control didn't have a strong negative-selection force to counter it.))

What all this says to me in the poker realm is that I (we) should not underestimate our opponent's ability to read us. And we should not underestimate our ability to read them. There's a viable reason that our first hunch is so often right. Ask mother nature.

Tommy

08-26-2001, 01:59 PM
backdoor,

You wrote "...Rickster Nebiolo, has some old posts here that would make the hair on the back of you neck stand up."

Is that an indication of anger, confusion, or simply a bad haircut?

Regards,

Rick

08-27-2001, 08:10 AM
Facial expressions..

peacocks,

..dreadlocks,

..dirty socks,

spectators mocks....

Anything that helps you fold.