PDA

View Full Version : need help exploiting a tight table image

creedofhubris
10-21-2003, 06:24 PM
I've become a regular at a fairly small site, and I usually play the same table and a lot of the same people. Therefore, they've gotten a good look at my tight, aggressive style. I got a sense of just how much they're respecting my betting on the following hand:

I have A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. Solid UTG+1 regular raises, two cold callers, I call, BB folds. Flop comes:

6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet out with top pair and nut flush draw. All three other players fold! With 10 SB in the pot! These are fairly tight players, they're not raising with garbage, so at least one player must be folding two overcards here.

I often see the pre-flop raiser lay down a hand when I come out firing on the flop.

On the flop, I also see folds when I raise. (I'll almost always raise with top pair, decent kicker, or overcard/nut flush draw.)

I think it's still to my advantage to knock people out on the flop when I've got a strong, but not overwhelming hand, so I'll keep doing that. However, I'm interested in using my tight image to my advantage on hands when I'm not ahead.

I think my response, when I'm in a pot with people who know me, should be:

1) check-raise more on the flop with drawing hands/middle pair.
2) in late position, bet every flop that is checked to me, and keep firing unless I get raised
3) bet into any raised pot that is checked to me,
4)check-raise the pre-flop raiser instead of betting outright when I have top pair or a strong draw, then come out firing.
5) continue these tactics until I show down a bluff or players start to give me more action

Sound good? These are all things I do occasionally, but not regularly (except #1 and #3, which are not typical plays for me).

I did try a check-raise bluff after that baffling hand, and almost certainly got someone to lay down a winnning hand:

I had T/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the SB. Unraised pot, five callers. Flop comes:
K/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked all the way, button bets, I raise on a whim. Fold, fold, fold, button calls.

Turn comes A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Now I have a gutshot draw, but button certainly has my hand beat. I bet, button calls.

River: Nine/images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, button folds(!)

I was very pleased with this hand. It's conceivable that the button was playing a small pair and I did have him beaten, but I think I got him to lay down something like JT.

I found early on in my playing career that power moves like that rarely worked on the Internet at low-limit, but I'm thinking that with my rep I can make them work often enough now to be profitable.