PDA

View Full Version : Paradise: 8c7d in Big Blind

08-25-2001, 08:02 PM
Paradise: $1/$2 Hold'em - 8c7d in Big Blind - 9-handed

UTG open-raises - 4 callers to me - I call.

FLOP: [ 6h Kd 5c ]

SB checks - I check - UTG bets - everybody calls - I call !?

Was just calling a big mistake ?

Is raising in this spot more or less a standard-play ?

Is it a high-variance-play or even a maniac-play ?

Is the fear of a re-raise a major concern ?

Any comments appreciated ! Feel free to elaborate ;-D

08-26-2001, 03:57 AM
formally Jack,

Calling is not a big mistake if you think UTG will make it three bets and drive out some players. But at this limit the players usually call anyway so checkraising is usually plus EV.

Checkraising for value is not "standard" in the sense that few players use it. But it certainly has to increase your expectation at a small cost in variance (if any). If you miss your draw on the turn you usually check and there is an increased chance that they may all check behind you because of your show of strength on the flop. Note that you want them to check the turn when you miss since you are worse then 4 to 1 against making it on the river.

I think Gary Carson loves this play ;-).

Regards,

Rick

08-26-2001, 07:04 PM
You are just under a 2:1 dog to make the straight. The straight will win at least 2/3 of the time, making you about a 3:1 to win. not counting the times you accidentally make something else. You can potentially get 5:1 for your raise. That's a real profitable raise.

The worst that can happen is UTG 3-bets and everybody else folds. Now you will win close to 2:1 and are getting only 1:1 for your money; no disaster. More likely when UTG 3-bets 2 players call and you are about breaking even.

Notice there is no 2-flush. Notice that the callers are unlikely to have a King. Notice, therefore, the straight is not in much jeapardy. Notice also, that snagging a stiff 8 or 7 CAN realistically win.

If you don't want to raise in this spot you shouldn't be playing for keeps.

- Louie

08-27-2001, 02:51 AM

08-27-2001, 08:39 AM
As long as you don't fold you'll be alright.

08-27-2001, 04:11 PM
What do you guys think about betting out in this situation?

08-29-2001, 02:35 AM
Matt,

With so many forums I didn't see your question until just now. I think betting out is OK at the higher limits and against ideally two or at most three opponents. You bet out to take it right then and there.

Regards,

Rick