PDA

View Full Version : TT in the BB with maniac at the table.

jasonHoldEm
10-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Hi guys,

Tough afternoon session for me today, I finished a winner, but the swings were brutal and I felt like I wanted to tear my hair out.

Here's a hand I'd like some input on.

Key players in the hand are the SB and the LMP limper. SB is a maniac. Raises any pair, ace, king, most connectors, etc preflop. Will stay aggressive on the flop if he hits any piece of picks up a draw. My best defense against this guy would have probably been to find another table. /images/graemlins/frown.gif LMP is typical low limit player. A little too loose with a tendency to chase. LMP is on a short stack as well.

I'm in the BB with TT.

EMP limper, LMP limper, SB raises. I decide to three-bet to try and isolate the maniac, I have a good chance of having the best hand. EMP folds and LMP calls two cold. SB caps it and we both call.

Flop comes down: 8, 9, 4 rainbow.

Maniac bets, I raise, LMP cold-calls, Maniac three-bets and I cap it, both call.

Turn is a 7 completing the rainbow and giving me an open ender, if my tens aren't good I still have a chance to improve.

SB checks, I bet, now the LMP comes alive and raises it, Maniac calls, I call.

River is an 8

SB bets, I call, LMP raises the last of his chips, SB raises it again, it's a bet and a half to me for a monster pot, and I make the call.

Results in post to follow.

jasonHoldEm
10-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, my obvious mistake was forgetting there were three people in this pot.

I definately overplayed my hand, and my crying call on the river was probably not even worth it. I was expecting to see A8 from the maniac and JT from LMP.

It turns out that maniac had QQ to win the side pot and LMP had 88 for quads...either way I still finish in third place.

Interested to see how you guys would play this hand.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

banditbdl
10-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Without looking at the results I hate making the call here on the river but make it everytime against a maniac like this. Obviously, there's a good chance LMP is gonna take this down but the pot is too big for me to lay down an overpair here.

banditbdl
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
He can't be that big a maniac if he doesn't bet out with QQ on the turn, capped flop or not with those cards

onegymrat
10-22-2003, 01:48 AM
Jason,
From your info, my read on the players is the same as yours. That would be the obvious read, but of course, it seems much clearer after the fact. I like your all your plays except for the cap on the flop. I would wait for the turn before committing more chips. Other than that, what else could you have done? Some hands weren't meant to be. Good luck.

Brian
10-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi Jason,

Even maniacs get AA once in awhile. Oh well, not much you can do J. I don't like the crying call on the River but I can understand it, but you definitely have to dump your hand after the Raise.

-Brian