PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up with a LAG -- KK w/ Axx flop

Homer
10-21-2003, 04:48 PM
EP limps, LAG MP raises, I three-bet with black Kings, only LAG calls.

Flop - A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, LAG check-raises, I three-bet, LAG calls.

Turn - 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Check, check.

River - A /images/graemlins/club.gif

LAG bets, I call.

Comments/Results - Usually, I'd fold to a check-raise on the flop, but not heads-up against a LAG. I decided to three-bet because I knew he'd cap with an A and call/fold if he didn't have one. I thought about betting the turn, but decided that he might fold a pocket pair (that didn't contain a heart, that is), but would bet into me on the river if I showed weakness. I think I made a big mistake by not raising the river. LAG showed 99 and I took it down.

-- Homer

rkiray
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Why didn't you bet the turn?

Homer
10-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Because I had position on an over-aggressive opponent who most likely had 2 outs against me, and would fold to my turn bet, but would bet into me on the river if I showed weakness. I would certainly have bet if I thought there was any chance that he might fold a hand containing a heart.

-- Homer

rkiray
10-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Cool. I like it.

Zez
10-21-2003, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would certainly have bet if I thought there was any chance that he might fold a hand containing a heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

But since he wasn't capable of folding a hand containing a heart, you let him try to get one on the river for free? This is the part that I don't understand.

And how sure are you of your read that he'd fold to a bet on the turn. Wouldn't a LAG typically call one more bet to see the river?

Ulysses
10-21-2003, 05:19 PM
I'd almost never raise this river. Would you call or fold to a 3-bet?

I'm expecting to see the following hands:

flush
weak Ace
pocket pair
nothing (KJ w/ Kh for example)

The pocket pair is the only hand I beat that may call a raise. I don't think he'll have that enough of the times to make a river raise right.

Also, I'm not sure you're right about him auto-capping the flop w/ an Ace. You 3-bet preflop and 3-bet the flop. If he's paying attention, he knows you're pretty tight. In my experience, the kind of player who will disregard all of this and auto-cap with A2 on the flop will almost always cap it pre-flop with pocket 9s.

Ulysses
10-21-2003, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because I had position on an over-aggressive opponent who most likely had 2 outs against me, and would fold to my turn bet, but would bet into me on the river if I showed weakness. I would certainly have bet if I thought there was any chance that he might fold a hand containing a heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get how you are so sure he only has two outs. Isn't he likely to go for a checkraise w/ a flush? Couldn't he have a weak Ace? If he does have a pocket pair, he could still easily have a heart.

Sarge85
10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez I hope one day I can be this anayltical. Why do I assume a person always has the nuts when they raise me!?!
What a read.

N/J

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Considering your opponent is LAG, I would've bet the turn. He probabaly has a lower pocket pair, but I'd be worried about one of them containing a heart, so I'd bet here. If he folds it, that's fine with me. If the 3rd heart doesn't come on the turn, I'd check it through. I think you have a clear raise on the river here, because as you said, an LAG player probably would've capped the flop with an ace, and he will call you with hands like JJ or TT.

Ulysses
10-21-2003, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
an LAG player probably would've capped the flop with an ace, and he will call you with hands like JJ or TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of LAG isn't capping pre-flop w/ JJ or TT?

Robk
10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
I would never raise the flop in this situation.

Edit: by raise I mean reraise.

GuyOnTilt
10-21-2003, 08:37 PM
You are correct. JJ and TT were very bad examples.

Homer
10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I assume you would call the hand down?

-- Homer

Robk
10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you would call the hand down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sorry for terse reply. You wrote

[ QUOTE ]
he would call/fold if he didn't have one

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main problem with your thinking. You don't want him to fold here, you want him to put in 2 more BB drawing dead or close to it. The other (lesser) problem is how reliably you can fold to a 4 bet.

WillMagic
10-21-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the check on the turn. It does a number of things for you against a LAG:

1. Induces a bluff on the river/convinces him you don't have an ace, which will lead him to bet hands like JJ, TT, and 99 on the river when he probably would have folded.

2. If he's on a slight slowplay with a big hand, like two pair or a set. He might just call your three-bet and then check it into you hoping to check-raise on a more expensive street. By checking along, you save two bets if this is the case.

3. Stopping a check-raise bluff. If he were to check-raise bluff the turn here, it would be a really difficult call, and you'd probably have to lay the hand down. Granted, this is a longshot, but still a possibility.

I think this was played perfectly.