PDA

View Full Version : Bluff-raising the river

Homer
10-21-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP. EP limps, MP limps, I raise, blinds and limpers call. Five to the flop.

Flop - J /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP bets, I raise, SB (plays every hand to the river it seems) coldcalls, BB check-three-bets, MP coldcalls, SB and I call.

Turn - K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked around.

River - K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, I bluff-raise, SB coldcalls, BB folds.

Comments/Results - BB's flop call-three-bet and turn check screamed flush draw. When he bet the river I felt there was a decent chance that it was a pure bluff. If it were heads-up I would have just called, but with opponents yet to act I decided to raise to knock out 3's and 9's. When SB coldcalled I thought I was toast, but he showed T5o (?) and I took it down. I rarely bluff-raise, but I thought this was an good time to do so.

-- Homer

rkiray
10-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Nice hand. I'm guessing since it's your post, but Party 2/4? I generally don't bluff into three opponents on the river, but I can't argue with results.

Homer
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I'm guessing since it's your post, but Party 2/4?

Yep

I generally don't bluff into three opponents on the river, but I can't argue with results.

MP (who bet out on the flop) had already folded to the initial river bet so it was down to me, BB and SB. The more I think about the more I think calling on the river would have worked just as well. SB will not fold anything for two bets that he will fold for one, and it seems unlikely that BB has a middling hand (he either has a big hand or is on a pure bluff).

-- Homer

Joe Tall
10-21-2003, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he bet the river I felt there was a decent chance that it was a pure bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your read here, Homie, nice play.

[ QUOTE ]
If it were heads-up I would have just called

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If you had the same read, why wouldn't you raise?

[ QUOTE ]
When SB coldcalled I thought I was toast, but he showed T5o (?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice table!!

Nice hand, Homie!

Peace,
JT

rkiray
10-21-2003, 05:02 PM
I just asked about the game because I'm trying to train the newbies into always saying the limit and site because it makes alot of difference.

I'd love your opinion on my discussion on what I thought my opponents did wrong in the "strange hand" thread. There is at least one person who seems to disagree with my analysis. All discusion is welcome.

Homer
10-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Why? If you had the same read, why wouldn't you raise?

When it's heads-up, there are no players left to act behind me who might overcall with K's and 3's or K's and 9's, so there is no motivation for me to raise to eliminate them. If the bettor has either a monster or is on a pure bluff and it's heads-up, calling is best. If he has a monster, he will three-bet and I will fold, so I will have wasted an additional bet. If he is bluffing, he will fold to the raise so I will win the same amount as by calling. The key here is that I have nut-no-pair, so I beat all of his possible bluffing hands. If I had K-high or worse, then I would have reason to raise, to knock him off of a possible A-high bluff.

-- Homer

Homer
10-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Sure. I'll take a look at that hand sometime today.

-- Homer

lil'
10-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Now this hand is pretty cool.

Nice read on the BB. The SB's call is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

Ulysses
10-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Nice hand. It's even possible that SB saved the hand for you if BB had something like A9 or 93s.

Dylan Wade
10-21-2003, 05:43 PM
A couple of weeks back, I was sitting at 2-4$ Oceans 11. I don't remember the board, but the river was heads up so they kept raise-re-raising until there was well over $100 in front of each player. Finally one player calls; he has Q2o, one pair on the board with Q kicker. The other player had the nut full house. I almost fell off my chair.. lol!

Mike
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Great read on your players, well played hand!