PDA

View Full Version : The cost of a slow-play

08-25-2001, 10:53 AM
You have AK, the flop is A93, the opponent raises you representing a lesser Ace, no matter what, both you and the opponent are going to show this hand down meaning your objective is to maximize the action on the hand. You are considering calling him, hehehe, figuring to raise the turn...

[1] You are in late position and the opponent has check-raised you. [1a] if you 3-bet now you can anticipate 1sb now and 1bb on the turn and 1bb on the river, for a total of 5sb more action. [1b] if you call now and raise the turn you can anticipate 0sb on the flop, 2bb on the turn and 1bb on the river for a total of 6sb in action, or 1sb more than 3-betting the flop. [1c] if you call now but the opponent fails to bet the turn, you can anticipate 0sb on the flop, 1bb on the turn and 1bb on the river, for a total of 4sb in future action, which is 1sb less than 3-betting.

[1 late position slow play results]: You risk 1sb to win 1sb.

[2] You are in early position, had previously bet and are raised and are now faced with the decision. [2a] If you 3-bet now you figure to get 5sb more action on the hand. [2b] If you call and successfully check-raise the turn, you figure to get 6sb more action, for a benefit of 1sb more than 3-betting straight out. [2c] If you call and the check-raise fails, you get a total of 2sb in total action, which is 3sb less than 3-betting.

[2 early position slow play results]: You risk 3sb to win 1sb.

>> When you are early and the opponent late, he's less likely to have a quality kicker and he knows YOU are MORE likely to have one, so he is less likely to bet the turn than when he acts first. The opponent is more likely to be screwing around from late position than from early.

All-in-all, slow playing like this from early position is a much worse proposition than from late position. I recommend that from late position you should routinely call and from early routinely 3-bet.

- Louie

08-25-2001, 03:06 PM
I tend to agree with your analysis. In some situations you are not really slowplaying but sandbagging. But this is why position is important. From late position you can make sure that you collect something on every street and you never miss a lick. But from early position, having to check-raise in order to gain an extra bet is risky. Furthermore, assuming you raised from early position and your opponent calls you, he may well put you on a big ace whereas you cannot be as confident as to what he has.

There will also be other scenarios where you check-raise on the turn only to get three-bet by an opponent who has two pair or a set resulting in you losing extra money.

08-26-2001, 05:00 AM
Louie,

Everything you have posted makes good sense.

I like the call, then raise the turn as well as it provides cover for those times you might actually like a free card on the turn, or those times that you are going to semi bluff raise the turn and frequently check down the river.

Out of position, I will sometimes try something odd, like stop n' go even though I don't think the opponent is on a free card buy. Against a single opponent sometimes I will check-call the flop, then lead at the turn. The rare curveballs just to keep em wondering. There is a certain type of opponent that will make the good laydown if you catch them for too many bets..I try to just get my due out of them without letting them fold, and denying them the coveted free cards their hearts desire.

Your basic strategy is a great foundation.

08-27-2001, 08:42 AM
Would there ever be a place here for folding? Or is that too rare to consider?